Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:01:04 AM

Author Topic: Stand alone indexer  (Read 5723 times)

Stand alone indexer
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
Hello guys,

I have a proyect in which I need a stepper to move a certain amount (always the same) when a signla is sent. Which means I need a stand alone indexer thats sends out lets say, 20000 steps, when an input signal is activated. There is no direction changes, no speed changes, an acceleration profile (trapezoidal) would be nice.

I know I could do this with a PC and mach runing the show, but for a single axis, single move, I think its overkill.

Does anyone know of any circuits, or a comercial unit that could do this. Im sure this would be an easy task for a pic, although im no programer, and no electronics expert.

Regards
Fernando

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Stand alone indexer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:30:35 PM »
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:35:57 PM »
Thanks Graham,
Yea thats kind of what im looking for, altough im gonna give the cubloc guys a try, since I only need one stepper motor index, and I will most likely use a PLC, that little device can handle what I need.
Thanks again
Fernando
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:25:27 AM »
Hi, If you are into electronics, You could use a 555 timer for the pulses and an L298 bridge driver to handle the stepper. With clever use of another 555 tied to the first's control pin 5 you could ramp up the pulses. It would be cheap and simple circuit on vero board.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
thanks merlin,
Ill look into it. it sounds interesting, im not into electronics, but i think i could make it happen.

Ill google some circuits to see if i find anything that would suit my needs.
Regards
Fernando
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:04:24 PM »
Well I googled and found lots of circuits concerning stepper drives, and stepper pulse generators. but the thing is, none of them controls the number of pulses sent out. For instance, I know I need the stepper to pulse 400 steps for it to position an indexing table, all the circuits I found, could make the motor move at a specified frequency, but none of them started the motor, pulsed 400 steps and then stop, and stand by for next operation.

The cubloc option sounds viable, you tell it how many steps and at what frequency you want it to output and it does so you can then use that into a gecko driver. Very simple, and with some not so complex loops, you can even ramp the speed as not to accelerato too abruptly.

Hope it works. Im still looking for some other options though.
Thanks
Fernando
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 03:41:02 PM »
Hi, ahh Step quantity. Perhaps I didnt read your last post correctly. It can be done but if your like me having time to build circuits and printed boards it's just as easy to buy something ready made. I looked at the cubloc website and they have got things well sorted. Probably the best route to go.

Regards

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 07:13:25 AM »
I believe this is what you are looking for   www.divisionmaster.com   Be sure to look at the examples of use.
and yes santaclaus needs to bring me one as well.
Happy Hunting
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine