Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:35:12 AM

Author Topic: Steps per JACKED!  (Read 3334 times)

Steps per JACKED!
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
I adjusted the steps per as follows:
Settings
Axis Calibration
Pick Axis to calibrate (selected X)
How far would you like to move the axis (entered 1 inch)
How far did axis move ( I entered 1/8 inch or 0.125)
I accepted Mach3 calculation of 17,134 steps per
Ran again to double check and the X moved 1 inch (saved everything) Made sure constant velocity was checked in the general config page. All is well...

Here is where the wheels fall of the wagon. The next step is to adjust the tuning. I set the speed of the axis to 10 and acceleration at 1. Increased the speed in increments of 5 until the motors miss steps then backed off until the movement was smooth. After adjusting the X Y and Z, I went back and checked the steps per and entered in 1 inch and the X axis only move 1/32 or 0.0313. What happened? The steps per has nothing to do with tuning, It's the number of "pulses" the motor puts out to move the axis by one unit (1 inch). What am  doing wrong? this is a demo version, would this make a difference?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Steps per JACKED!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Hi Grietveld,

It makes no difference if you are using the demo version or the licensed version. I have never used the calibrate function so have no idea what went wrong in your setup.

Ideally you should be calculating your steps per unit from the known information about your machine.

Here is an example of the calculation http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12512.0.html
And here is a download link for Al's calculator http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16315.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
Tweakie,
Thanks for the links, I'll give them a try!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:21 AM »
Did you save the configuration after you used the axis calibration?
RICH