Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:21:16 PM

Author Topic: Zeroing the work piece Question?  (Read 2968 times)

Zeroing the work piece Question?
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
How is every body doing? I am new to cnc machining. Up to know if i need to cut a part with my cnc i would just put a big 24"x15" plywood piece and start from where ever. I would n;t have to worry about zeroing the x and y. (just stay with my). for example if i need to cut a profile a 4x4 square and pocket a 2x2 in the middle i would just zero the bit where ever on the big  24"x15" plywood piece.
Now that i have a 4x4 block of wood to begin with and need a 2x2 pocket in the middle i don't know where to zero the bit. Is it like on the corner..............specially when i am using a 1/2,1/4 and 3/8 striaght shank router  bit. like its not pointy.

have a great weekend
CNCexplorer

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Zeroing the work piece Question?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
All depends on where your code has its X and Y zero point.
If it is the lower left corner of the work then you have to find that, easiest way is to move close then step away until you can slip a feeler gauge in between the tool and the work then enter the thickness of the feeler plus 1/2 the Dia of the cutter into the DRO as a negative number, do the same for the other axis.

If its the middle of the block that is the start point of your code then touch off one side and zero the DRO, move to the other and touch off then in the DRO press /2 and  it will then have set the centre of the work as zero for that axis. Repeat for the other axis.
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:29:28 AM »
Hi CNCexplorer,

I don't know if this is any help for your application but the setting process I use for engraving and wood routing is detailed here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/17.htm

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:58:56 AM »
There are two parts to setup,namely, where the user wants  to start and how to get to that starting point.
You need to think about where you want to start early on and the selected start point should include how the material is mounted,
how your going to touch off to the part, the intial tool move into the material, how the part will be machined, accuracy of setup, etc, etc.

In many cases common sense will dictate.
RICH