Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:59:38 AM

Author Topic: Run Timer _ Mach 4 improvement suggestion  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
Run Timer _ Mach 4 improvement suggestion
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
Some time ago I mentioned that I didn't like the way the run timer kept on running even if the process was stopped on an M1 (optional stop) wating for me to tend to the machine. Well, I was shot down by others saying that they thought waiting for the operator was part of the run time and they wanted to know the full time it took for the process (or something like that). I guess if you're charging by the hour for the whole job that's a good reason to keep it running. I guess everyone has their opinion so I just let it go.
 I use the timer more to anticipate how long the a piece of the process is going to take by looking at something like how long a passs around a part is taking and then I can multiply by how many passes and figure out when to come back to check progress or change a tool etc...

Well, today I wrote a program with a subroutine and noticed that the timer started over every loop of the routine making the timer pretty useless for anything.

I guess I'm wondering if this simple feature of the program could be improved, perhaps with some operator options in setup or something.

Sage

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Run Timer _ Mach 4 improvement suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
You will be better off buying a simple push button timer(;-) and some double sticky tap and sticking it to the mill . I dought much programming time will be applied to the timer in MACH4(;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
I dought much programming time will be applied to the timer in MACH4(;-)

Do you mean in Mach3? I'm sure it's not a trivial thing to fix in Mach3.
However, with Mach4 being a total re-write, I think a lot of people are expecting all the features to actually work like they are supposed to. If not, what's the point of the re-write?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
Think Happy Happy thoughts  :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
With ALL the things they have to work on to get the "CNC functions working" as they should I would hope that the timer is the last thing on their mind.

Really what good does a run timer do???.

(;-) TP

Offline Sage

•  365 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
Well, sometimes it's all the little things that don't work that make a program a failure (and dictate a complete re-write). Sound familiar? And certainly the timer is pretty tiny feature.

As for what the timer is good for - I explained above. Sometimes I just want to bugger off while the machine works, and, being able to figure out how long the the rest of the 50 passes (of say a pocket) are going to take based on the one pass that just completed is handy.

I guess nobody uses the timer?

It was just a suggestion.

I'll just add it to the list of small things that bug me about Mach.

Sage

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
Sorry I was not picking on you(;-).

I guess in almost 40 years of doing this I have never worried about a run timer.  I just seemed odd to me that is all. I don't even remember if any of the older controllers even had such a feature.

IF it is important to you then please carry on.

Sorry (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:49:39 AM »
I think its a case of what is important to one is not even a concern to another, there are many things you wish for Terry that I say to myself why the hell would anyone want that ;D I am sure there are things that I would like fixed that many will say , why? or Low Priority!!!

Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
Exactly.
But the bottom line, is that if the feature is in the program, it should work.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
OK you have me curious what feature would I have asked for that is not a normal CNC machine function?  ???

(;-) TP