Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:09:21 PM

Author Topic: Help with electrical interference  (Read 7828 times)

Re: Help with electrical interference
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »
The cable from the VFD to the spindle is shielded and connected to earth at the VFD end and not connected at the Spindle end. The supply cable to the VFD is not shielded but is only about 300mm long. Also the machine runs without a problem with the VFD powered. It is only when the spindle is running that I get the problem so I suspect more to do with the output wiring or some sort of harmonic being generated within the VFD when in the run mode.

Stuart
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
Just to give you a heads up on where I am at. I tried the two 0.1mf caps and it made a substantial difference. Good advice.... Thanks. The machine will run for about 10 minutes or more before the system detects a limit switch activation. I have been onto the BOB manufacturers today and they have suggested to move the position of the VFD and give it a try as they feel it is a little close. At the moment the VFD is about 300mm from the BOB and stepper drivers.

I am overseas at the moment with work so wont get to try it before the end of the week, but shall let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

Stuart

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »
Did you unhook the shield connections at the switch end?
Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Pleased to hear you are making some progress.
As Hood has suggested your shields must only be connected at one end (preferably the controller end).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
Shall disconnect them when I get back home in a couple of days. Thanks again for your help.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Hi Guys,
Some further success last night. Cutting the shield wires at the micro switches made little difference, but when I also cut the shields at the stepper motor ends I think may have fixed my problem. I only have the one piece of code to run the machine on at the moment, which runs for about 15 minutes. Today I plan to slow the feed rate right down and see if I can run it for over half an hour or so to see how it performs.

Good advice hood, thank you to both of you for your help.

Stuart

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Hopefully that is the end of the problems.
Hood