Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:49:35 AM

Author Topic: Gunstocks!!!!!  (Read 29648 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Gunstocks!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »
I hope you all can appreciate the hours of work that it took.

Wow!!!  That is impressive to say the least. :o

I believe the cnc bug is about to bite him!!!!

You will be doing him a big favor infecting him IMO!!!  ;D  If you arm your friend wih a CNC he will be lethal......................... I mean 007 lethal.  If not, take his CNC away and walah..... you can call him James.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »
Ditto on the WOW!!! That is just gorgeous work  :o

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »
Certainly a nice rest and surely an eye catcher.
RICH
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
 :o :o Awe man I so want to be able to do that! I have a CNC 5 axis and mach 3. I wouldnt even know where to start :-\   What would be some advice for someone just starting out? Those Stocks are sweet! My dad had a saw mill for 35 years so I have literally tens of thousands of board feet of beautiful black/english walnut that is just dieing to be something! Maybe one day. You have inspired me.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
Well if your looking for help or advice you came to the right place!!!  This place is loaded with knowledge and full of people that are willing to help.  Once all of these guys helped me get my machine running, my biggest challenge was learning how to draw these stocks that I posted pictures of.  I am self taught and have never had any type of formal training on cad or cam.  Its all been trial and error for me.  A very painful trial and error!!!!!LOL!!!!  The best advice I can give is not to sell yourself short,  if you think you can and give it your best effort you will most likely succeed.  As far as the little bumps in the road, post your questions here and you will find answers.  Most likely a whole lot them.  A lot of the people here cut there teeth on hand written G-code.  For me I rely on cam package to create most of my programs.   There are alot of good programs available.  Also there are alot of good plugins with mach that will allow you to get a good start.  We all had to start somewhere so just dive in.  I am pretty certain you can't post question on this forum that someone here can't answer. If theres something that I can do to help feel free to contact me.  Good Luck!!!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
What would be some advice for someone just starting out?
You will need to learn CAD 2D & 3D and  a CAM program. You need to be able to make a 3D object of the part and then use a program to convert that into gcode. There are no shortcuts to all this or some magical program that does it in a few mouse clicks.

Enjoy the learning experience,
RICH
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:15 AM »
Hey you guys are great! I'm glad to see that there are still kind people willing to share and help people out who are just getting started. I really like learning and being self taught IMO is way cooler even if it is painfull lol. I would rather get help from good people instead of a formal setting anyway. Builds great friendships. Thanks for the advice! This brings me to a question or two. Number one is more curiosity then wanting to get started with it, I better start off with a little simpler stuff but it has been on my mind.

1. Where the heck do you start with a gunstock, cutting out? I mean you have both sides, and the the top and bottom. Sounds like lots of flips,turns,tool changes, twist,combinations of curse words, holding your mouth just right!?

2. Can you point me to any good places that explain MACH plugins. Or good ones to implement. I know essentially what plugins are but never used or experienced them with mach.

3. What is a good CAD maybe free to start using. I am playing around with CAMBAM and was thinking about buying TurboCAD around $150. Are all these CADS essentially the same? I thought that maybe any would do for what i need as far as starting out.

4. Thanks to all the great people that help one another!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
Where the heck do you start with a gunstock,
You first DESIGN the gunstock.  ;)
RICH
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
 ;D  Sho nuff! lol
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
I am running Alibre cad/cam. They have a thirty day trial on there expert version
And also have a hobby version. I started with the trial version several years ago.
The tutorials are great and should get you started. After thirty days you will know if you want to purchase it or not