Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:50:13 AM

Author Topic: Mach Mill adjusting feed to overcome inconstant spindle rpm  (Read 3149 times)

Hello,

My mill has a rather poor spindle motor drive. It's not always able to maintain the proper speed. Until I can replace the motor and drive.

I am wondering if Mach Mill has the capability if I put a tach on the spindle to notify it if the spindle speed drops. That Mach can reduce the feed until the spindle catches up. A sort of like constant surface feet per min. in Mach turn

Good day.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Mill adjusting feed to overcome inconstant spindle rpm
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
You may manage by having the macropump look at the true spindle speed and reduce the feedrate override accordingly but it would not be that easy as it would need to know what it is meant to be. Suppose you could have it look at the commanded spindle speed and have that as 100%.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »
Hood has the idea, I did that long ago. The Macropump watches the commanded speed and compares the actual speed actual /commanded =% of the commanded and have the Macropump adjust the FRO the same %.
I have the code here somewhere if you want I can look for it. I may have done it in a brain as well.  I called it CruseControl in attempt to make a none stallable stepper setup. IF the spindle loaded up the machine would slow the feedrate to allow it to catch back up.

(;-)TP
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
You're forgetting that FRO will only affected NEW commands, not those that are already in the buffer.  This means it could take several seconds for the FRO to change anything.  That will create a feedback loop with a VERY long, and VERY variable time constant, which will make it extremely difficult to control.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »
YOU need to uncheck "no FRO on que" in genconfig (;-)  IF you have that checked in GEN CONFIG then you are correct it does not effect qued data. IF it is unchecked then it SHOULD run instantly. AND yes there must be a small deadband in the routine.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
Thank you all for the info..

I was wondering about response time and potential feedback loops.

BR549 I would very much like to look at your code. Any caveats aside from uncheck "no FRO on que". How well did it work?

Kind regards,

Good day to all.