Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:46:23 AM

Author Topic: G31 question  (Read 4984 times)

G31 question
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
I am trying to get my flame cutter back up and running after 8ish months of no use.

Every thing is working except the g31. Code.   I am using macros to turn the oxy and propane on and off.

I currently have the home limit switched set so that the x and a are located to the far right of the table, the y is to located closest to the control panel, and the z is all the way up.  I did it this way so loading the table with big sheets is easier.

Since my home limit switch is located in the up position, can I use the the limit switch that detect the top of the plate to reset my z axis dro?

Or is there a better way?

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: G31 question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
Without a floating Z head I do not know of a way to find the TOM using switches.  Just jog to the top of material with the torch and Zero the Z.

YOU may want to consider a screen button that after you have touched off on the material press the button and it would zero the Z and retract back up to a safe Height.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:52:27 AM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
TP-

I do have a floating z head.   I had this working the last time I used the table, about 8 months ago.   I know I am just missing something simple.   Is there someplace to tell mach what ports and pins to use with G31?

Thanks

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
OK easy,

Config/inputs/probe  check it as active AND  set up the port and pins.

then you use a post for your cam to insert the G31 sequence into the Gcode  OR a button to use the function manually

G31 Z-3 F20   'calls the G31 function and sets feedrate
G92 Z0.000     'set the Z as Zero
G0 Z.062      ' Moves back the amount of the switch offset(motion)
G92 Z0.000  ' Reset the the Z , 0.000 (top of material)
G0 Z2.00      ' Move up to ignition height and ready to fire the torch

That will leave you set to the TOM and sitting at ignition height ready to go.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »
TP-

I was able to play with the table some tonight, and I am not having any luck.

Here is what I know.

1.  Everything is working on the table except the probe to determine TOM.
2.  when I watch the diagnostic page on Mach for CandCNC boards, I can watch the bottom row row of LEDS and one of the middle ones turns on and off when I manually toggle the switch.
3.  I wrote a simple program just like you have suggested.  Turned the speed way down, and as the z is moving down looking for the TOM, I manually toggle the probe switch.   Nothing happens.
4.  I have also tried changing the ports and pins for the probe for both HI and LOW. 
5.  I have also tried enabling the toggle switch for THC.   The indicator for THC flashes a green LED.  If I remember correctly, I thought this stayed either on or off.  Not flashing?

There has to be something in Mach that tells it to either use the HOME SWITCH or the PROBE for the G31.  A macro or something

Any other ideas??   

I promise this did work last year!!!:)

Thanks

Steve

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:14 AM »
2.  when I watch the diagnostic page on Mach for CandCNC boards, I can watch the bottom row row of LEDS and one of the middle ones turns on and off when I manually toggle the switch.
Do you mean the bank of LEDs labelled "Port 1 pins current state" If so, ignore them, they're bollocks.

When you toggle the probe tip manually does the DIGITIZE LED on the Diagnostics page change? If NOT have you got "emulated" ticked in ports n pins? If so, untick it.

Ian
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:02 AM »
Ian-

I will check the DIGITIZE LED today when I go to the shop.  I DO have the emulated turned on.  I was also try to get it to work from the key board.  I will turn that off.

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Steve
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
Ian-

I turned off the emulated for the probe.  And nothing happens.  The digitize led never turned on.

This has to be something simple, I just can't find it!!!

Steve

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55:55 AM »
post your xml Steve.

(copy c:\mach3\<your profile name>.xml to scrambled1.xml and post the copy)

Ian

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:19:46 AM »
Will do Ian-

It will be a few days.  I have to work at my real job on the weekends.

Thanks for all the help

Steve