Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:38:42 AM

Author Topic: parallel port help  (Read 7362 times)

parallel port help
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Into my first build & could use some help.

Using pentium 4 with 1g ram-I have constant voltage at parallel port pins on startup. when i launch mach3, i lose voltage and cant get a pulse when jogging.

I am running a demo version but my understanding is that I am good for 500 lines. port address is good. ports and pin configuration matches tutorial videos

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: parallel port help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
Check on a Dir pin and jog axis back and forward to see if boltage changes. Checking on a Step pin may not give you much of a voltage, that will depend on the active low setting in Mach. Even if you have that set so you get 5v when stationary you will only see a very slight drop in voltage when jogging, reason being it is a pulse that is being sent out of the step pin.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
You will see it better on an oscilloscope if you have one, can you get a clean on/off output at the spindle's assigned pin?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
Thanks Hood & Blue Pinnacle-I checked step and dir pins extensively-down loaded Parmon and can turn the pin power on and off with it-loaded factory restore discs to clean out my computer. reinstalled mach3 and still have the same problem (no pulse at parallel port pins) I read in the Mach3 manual that if your computer is APCI uniprocessor instead of standard computer, that you could have problems.My computer is APCI uniprocessor. Does anyone know if this is killing my chances of using this machine? Also, looked at prices for oscilloscopes. Would this be a great benefit to have? Would a lower cost one be sufficient?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:32:36 PM by Cbizkit »
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »
Nice to have, not essential. You can pick up the safety pulse on pin 1 using an earpiece for example. And a 20 year old scope in good condition would be fine.

Do you have the port address set up properly?

If the chipset really won't play then an add- on parallel card may be the answer . We find the Moschip based cards work very well for our purposes.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
I am certain of my port address-ordered a parallel card-I'll post how it turns out-Thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
installed the new card and getting the SAME exact results! don't want to give up on Mach but I'm ready to buy a (ready to go) box-any sugestions?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
Sounds like you do not have mach3 configured correctly. IF you are not seeing activity on the pins then MACH3 is not sending them out to the pins.

Double check the port assignment  The PC's port number and the mach3 port number is not the same. Check  that your port address is correct.

Double check the port/pins assigments are correct and you are using the correct port.

IS jogging turned ON in YOUR mach3 ?  If it is OFF it will not jog and you get NO signals at the port. 

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »
Where do I turn on the jog in Ver. 3.045

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Jog On/Off button should have green round it, see pic
Hood