Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:12 AM

Author Topic: Lost printer port, Win7  (Read 2536 times)

Lost printer port, Win7
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
I badly need some help, and the search function didn't turn up what I need. Background: Win7 Ultimate 32bit box dedicated exclusively to running my Zenbot with a PCI interface to the cnc box, worked fine for a year, let sit for 6 months and got a project doing a print catalog and wood trophies for a livestock show. My dedicated graphics PC went south and I had to do the catalog on my cnc control PC. When I attempted to print the catalog to my USB printer a dialog box appeared stating something like...port being used by another device do you want to ... >:D  Being way behind deadline I clicked ok.

2 weeks later I loaded up my gcode and l discovered the PC will not communicate with the cnc machine  ???. Mach runs the project, you can follow it on the screen as it cuts, but the machine just sits there. When I initially installed the PCI card I did not install the included drivers (as per forum advice, use the Mach drivers) and don't want to now.

How can I reestablish communications without uninstalling/reinstalling Mach and losing all my configuration settings, I am getting way behind on this project and I'm not sure if just changing the port address will fix this, and I truly don't have a lot of cnc experience.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance,

jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lost printer port, Win7
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
Delete any installed printers and see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
I deleted the printer, still had problems. Ran the config check and somehow one of my output pins had been reassigned. I can't imagine how that happened, machine was working fine when shut down previously.  Fixed now and running well.

Thanks Hood for your response.

jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
Main thing is its running. Now save your xml to another computer just in case you need it in the future ;)
Hood