Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:36:52 AM

Author Topic: Same Axis but different result between Lathe & Mill  (Read 2973 times)

Same Axis but different result between Lathe & Mill
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
 Good day,

I'm new to converting a mini-lathe/mill combination. Everything seems to work using Mach3 & CamBam(CamBam is not the problem).
When I use Mach3 as 3-axis machine(X=Left-Right; Y=Front-Back; Z=Milling Head Up-Down; when viewed from the front of the machine)
On the X-axis(Mill) there is 0.4mm backlash enabled. when I use the TAB key and jog it left and right it works fine.

Using it as a lathe X becomes Z(Left to Right) and Y becomes X(Front-Back) as indicated in CamBam. I have 2 profiles for mill and lathe which I have attached the values of X(the Mill motor settings) was copied over to the Z settings of the lathe profile (with same 0.4mm backlash. I expected that when I moved from Left to Right(using the TAB key) the movement between the mill(X) and the lathe(Z). The movement on the lathe(Z) is sluggish/hesitant before it starts moving very slowly and then picks up speed.

I believe it must be something to do with my .xml profiles as this is the same axis with the same motor for both mill & lathe.

Please could somebody look at my files and possible explain why there is a difference the same axis when using it as a lathe or mill. I've spent the last 10 hours trying to figure this out(I've even fitted a stronger motor, with the same results)? I believe it a setting in Mach3 (standard 2 Mach3 screen)that I got wrong.

Regards,
Phillip  ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Same Axis but different result between Lathe & Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
On General Config page of the Turn profile set your shuttle accel to 0.004 to make it the same as your Mill profile.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
Thank you Hood,
I will try it tomorrow morning as it 9:30pm here, wish you were here this morning, would have save lots of frustration and riding to get a new motor.
Thank You, it always something simple.
Phillip
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
Thank You Hood,
You were totally correct.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »