Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:32:13 AM

Author Topic: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions  (Read 85081 times)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Re: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Look at this link for a few more details,

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36099

The script at the begining of that thread has some short comings.

Look towards the end of the thread for a better version.

Greg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2009, 03:21:01 AM »
If you want a VB button just add a button in screen4 and choose to have it as a VB button, then save and exit then back in Mach go to Operator menu then Edit Button Scripts. The VB Buttons will be flashing, click on the one you made and the editor window will open, add your code and close and thats it.
 If there are DROs in the script you probably dont need to add them to the screen, Mach will see them even if you dont :) The only time you would need them is if you want to see them or they are meant for inputting data manually.

Hood

Offline astr

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Greg: 

Thank you for your response.  I will read through the thread that you suggested.  Last night I found and went through the Scripting Tutorial which helped a lot.

Hood:

Thank you for your response.  After going through the tutorial, what you said make more sense to me.  This weekend I'll just have to try a few things.  I now realize how powerful these scripting features are.  I just need to master them!

Andy

Offline astr

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Greg:

Finally got everything working and am extremly pleased with the results.  Thanks very much for posting this project and guiding me to it.  I made a few changes to the script and posted it on CNCzone.  Now its on to implementing the laser crosshairs.

Again, thanks very much - Andy
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
I've read through this thread. It's obviously packed with info on how to make the edge finder and z probe. Two problems: it's very lengthy and a whole lot of it is gibberish to me. I was wondering if maybe I could boil it down to a third-grader's level with just a few steps and let you guys see if it makes sense. I have a fully functional CNC router with Gecko 201s, a Bob Campbell break out board, limit switches on the X and Y (none on the Z). I have parallel port. I want the zero systems badly. I don't need any help on how to make the plates. What I do need is the wiring and software know-how. As best I could tell from the thread I need to pick "probe" and "low" from the Mach program. I need two wires coming from the BOB. I need to download a screen program to create a screen with buttons and lights for operating the probe. Is that about it? I want to do it in the least difficult way and make it fancy later.

1. I understand I need the so-called Screen 4 package downloaded and installed. Yes/No
2. I understand I need to insert some script which I can copy from one of you guys. Yes/No
3. I understand I need wires coming from the BOB but I don't know which terminals Yes/No

Is this about it? Can you tell me which terminals on the BOB?

My sincere thanks, BB

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com

Offline astr

•  30 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
I've read through this thread. It's obviously packed with info on how to make the edge finder and z probe. Two problems: it's very lengthy and a whole lot of it is gibberish to me. I was wondering if maybe I could boil it down to a third-grader's level with just a few steps and let you guys see if it makes sense. I have a fully functional CNC router with Gecko 201s, a Bob Campbell break out board, limit switches on the X and Y (none on the Z). I have parallel port. I want the zero systems badly. I don't need any help on how to make the plates. What I do need is the wiring and software know-how. As best I could tell from the thread I need to pick "probe" and "low" from the Mach program. I need two wires coming from the BOB. I need to download a screen program to create a screen with buttons and lights for operating the probe. Is that about it? I want to do it in the least difficult way and make it fancy later.

1. I understand I need the so-called Screen 4 package downloaded and installed. Yes/No
2. I understand I need to insert some script which I can copy from one of you guys. Yes/No
3. I understand I need wires coming from the BOB but I don't know which terminals Yes/No

Is this about it? Can you tell me which terminals on the BOB?

My sincere thanks, BB

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress.com

1. Yes - this package lets you modify the Mach3 screens to include the buttons and DRO's that will operate with the z-zero plate

2. Yes - This script is what runs when you click on the buttons that you have defined in  Screen4.  It is the program that moves the z-axis downward until contact is made with the plate, resets the z-dro to the value of the z-axis at the time of contact, and then retracts the z-axis.  There are several different scripts posted either here or CNCZone.

3. Yes - you will have to assign and connect an unused input on your BOB to the contact plate.  You will have to configure this input as a probe input in Mach3.  I'm unfamiliar with your specific BOB so I can't provide any guidance there.

I know you are looking for a "cook book" answer as how to make this all work for you.  That is how I started out also.  The problem is that your setup is different than mine, how you use your equipment is different than what I do with mine so there is no one "answer".

My experience was that after a somewhat frustrating and time consuming start, I finally figured out how to make this work for me.  On top of that, I now have learned enough that I can easily customize other aspects of Mach3 and make it work better for me.

Good Luck!

Andy
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »
I know you are looking for a "cook book" answer as how to make this all work for you.  That is how I started out also.  The problem is that your setup is different than mine, how you use your equipment is different than what I do with mine so there is no one "answer".

I realized how difficult it is to answer such a question. Everyone in the DIY CNC world has there own combination of "stuff". Maybe I can take the info you gave me and get a little more from someone else and eventually get it going. After all-- that's how I built the CNC in the first place. Thanks
If anyone reading this knows which terminals to use on the Campbell BOB please advise. Thanks to you too.