Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:10:52 AM

Author Topic: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions  (Read 85080 times)

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
Re: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Ventuseu,

Are you saying that the tool stops before hitting your touch plate and retracts?  If your plate triggers the led when grounded, it should work.  The G31Z-(what ever distance you have here in the macro) is what relates to the "Probe" connection and how far it will travel before stopping.  Is it possible that you need to increase this distance in the macro to make your tool continue moving until it contacts the plate or start the macro closer to the touch plate?

If you start the macro and manually touch the plate to ground, does the macro work properly then?
Scott

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
In "Ports and Pins" set the probe to the pin you want and set it to active low.

Greg

EDIT:  Woops sorry I did not see that Scott had already answered.   :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:56:21 PM by Greolt »
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »
Scott,

No, when I ground the pad while the z axis is traveling down, the motion doesn't stop (i.e., it doesn't terminate the macro).

I beginning to suspect that I don't have the correct mapping for the BOB's internal pin/terminal connection, although I've made the probe connection to match the documentation I have for Sound Logic PC-2-Route Model M2 board. Tomorrow, I'll try using a different terminal on the BOB and see what happens.

I really appreciate the responses-getting advice quickly from you guys keeps me from getting frustrated.

SF

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »
SF,

Another quick test of the macro would be to ground out your plate and then run the macro.  If the digitize/probe led is triggered (OEM LED 825), the macro should throw up the error message...

"Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again"
Scott
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that, and grounding has no effect.

As I'm trying to verify the entire signal path from pad/probe to the Mach 3 screen button, it has become painfully clear that I still don't understand how the button on the screen is linked to pin assigned in "ports & pins". I assume that much of this magic is contained in the OEM code, but the link between the screen button (and its macro) and the assigned pin still escapes me...

Thanks,

SF

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
SF  forget about the script, DRO, button etc for now.

What you need to make happen is touching the plate to tool makes the "Digitize" LED come on on the diagnostics page.

When that is happening the rest will fall into place easily.

Greg
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2007, 09:09:25 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the the clarification. On my diagnostic screen, the 4th LED on the top row is the one that toggles on and off as the probe is grounded.

I think I've found the problem. A careful rereading of my BOB documentation suggests that the four aux inputs aren't independent inputs, but are only intended to be used as limit switches. Each input is apparently hardwired on the board with the home/limit switch for one of the axes...

I've sent an e-mail to Campbell Designs for clarification, and the response was that they'll look into it and get back to me. I await their reply...

Thanks for your help,

SF

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
SF it sounds like you have not set up the probe input in "Ports and Pins"

It should look like in the picture.  With relevant port and pin number,

Greg
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
Thanks to Scott and especially Greg's help, the probe is working perfectly.

On Bob Campbell's breakout board, if you connect and assign the probe to the Aux Home pin(15), enable both the probe and 4th axis home on pin 15  in Ports & Pins, and it works perfectly...

As usual, it wasn't a hardware problem - it was the lousy software between my ears.

Thanks

SF
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2008, 09:06:15 AM »
Hi guys, I don't post much (do read alot) but I have been watching this thread and the one one CNC forum and have been playing with the Mach screen 4..with whats been posted I think it's time to try this on my router..
Just one question....I thought I read that someone had done this with the X,Y axis also...and can it you bring the tool to a predetermined spot ...like touch off in X with a 1/2 EM and have Z retract and the tool move to its CL and then Zero the DRO.
Any scrip to paw over would really help.....
Thanks again to all .....