Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:21:16 PM

Author Topic: touch off pad  (Read 6573 times)

touch off pad
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
have been reading about touch off pads to set the project. some guys say you need a resister some say no. then i read about screen sets? is there an easy way to set up a touch pad? i have a pad and an alligator clip already connected to wires and i have pin 13 open on my break out board. where do i go from here?
Safe machining everyone

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: touch off pad
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
See if this helps.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10088.0.html

There are a lot of touch off macros floating around that are better than the one posted I'm sure but hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
Thanks i will try it this week end. if i have any problems trust me i will be asking more questions. again thanks.
Safe machining everyone
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
Brett
ok i must let you know that i am way out of my league with this. looking at your post it says you posted a macro. all i see is a lot of code and a couple of pictures. by the way i under stand the first two pictures a plate and the ports and pins window. not sure what to do with the third but i could muddle thru i'm sure.  but the rest about the Auto Zero Button in screen 4. i cant find that.  if there is some sort of auto install in your post i am not seeing it. man i feel dumb about now. what i am really saying is i think i will need a step 1 by step description of how to do this if you dont mind.
Safe machining everyone

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
No problem. We can get you fixed up.  All you are missing is being able to edit your screen.  You'll need to add a vb button for sure and I would recommend a led.  Go here

http://www.kd-dietz.com/klausphp/index_eng.html

and download Klaus's MachScreen and watch the tutor videos.  Once you have the vb button and led added to your screen you can just copy and paste the code in.  If you hit any snags someone here will help get you over the hump I'm sure.

Brett

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »
ok i got as far as putting a button on my screen labeled Touch Pad.  setting it to set user LED. is this where i would paste the code? if so all of it starting with 'Auto touch off macro and continuing with the rest just as it is?
Safe machining everyone
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
I would STRONGLY urge you to spring for a copy of MachStdMill:  http://www.calypsoventures.com/machstdmill/overview.html  This will give you a wide array of very robust probing functions.  You CAN get this working on your own, but it often results in a lot of frustration, and MachStdMill provides a LOT of very useful probing functions that would take you forever to develop on your own.  For the very low cost, it's a real bargain.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
at this point i'm so frustrated. this morning after reading all the stuff on touch off pads, i decided to go out and just see if my machine would even run. all i needed to do was set my home switches. which was easy. got that done loaded up the road runner g code. just set my bit to touch the material and set z dro to zero. hit the run button and off it went. it plunged about .25 and made a straight line about 4 inches with a 45deg angle on the end of it and then raised .25 above the material and finished the tool path, of course nothing was cutting bit was way to high. this arrow thing seems to be in the path of the neck of the road runner. after 4 trys i did manage to get it to cut the road runner a bit deep but the whole thing came out. that was cool after that final pass i went to jog my router and the jog keys didnt work i checked the hot key setup its fine, i tried shutting down my compurt and my electronics paqckage. still no jog keys. i have abandoned the touch off plate for now i just want to get it running consistantly before i try to do anything more difficult. i will keep plugging at it till it works or my head explodes.
Safe machining everyone

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »
I have sent you a personal message.

Brett

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
OK after dinner i went out and started a new profile and reset all my settings and i cut the road runner g code. this time it cut the first time and did not make any deep plunges or extreme z axis movements. i did check the rt hand rule and it seems correct. altough i did have to check the reverse box in the Homing/Limits config sectionfor my motors travel in the correct directions. not sure whats up with that but the motors home in the right directions and they jog correctly too. I'm not sure how to check to determine if i am cutting mirrored. that will have to be for another day. tomorrow i will try to cut some other things to check on the suspected mirror problem. i don't know what happened to my other profile that made it corrupt but it seems that the new one is fine for now. I'm sure at some point i will have that eureka moment and realize how to fix all these pesky little problems. thanks Brett for the call I'm sure i will have more questions for you in the near future.
Safe machining everyone