Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:24:47 AM

Author Topic: Galil 17XX AMC 30A8T Setup questions (Clausing CNC Lathe Conversion)  (Read 4231 times)

Ok, I am converting a Clausing 12" lathe to CNC. While working on the ballscrew and motor mounts I decided to start working on the control
I have some questions:

I am using Advanced Motion Controls 30A8T Servo Amplifiers:
http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/30a8.pdf
I was curious to know what the dipswitch settings should be set at.
I am using Electrocraft Servo motors, 60VDC max terminal voltage, one servo motor is rated @ 4.9A continuous and the the other @ 10.2A continuous, the motors have Renco 1000 line encoders)
Which mode should it be setup for, Voltage, Current or IR Comp?

Of the pins on the AMC 30A8, other than pins 4 & 5 (+/- Ref in from Galil), which others might I use or might be useful to wire up?

I will be using a 58VDC 16A torodial unregulated power supply

My XP computer is setup with MACH3 and the Galil plug in. Galil is configured.

Does anyone have any example wiring diagrams of a Galil/ICM1900 and an AMC? (If not and I can get some guidance, I will try and create one for the next guy!)

I would rather ask question and get some guidance from those who have been there and done that, rather than let the magic smoke out!

Thanks in advance!
Marty
Mesa, AZ

https://picasaweb.google.com/marty.escarcega/ClausingCNCLatheConversion
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:07:43 PM by Marty_Escarcega »

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Galil 17XX AMC 30A8T Setup questions (Clausing CNC Lathe Conversion)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
Marty,
You want to be in current (torque) mode. Set the jumpers and pots as on the sheet for the amp. You will also want to attach the amp enable line from the Galil so that you can shut dowm the amp with a Mach reset signal. You may need to change the ic on your Galil breakout from 7407 to 7406 to get the correct output for the AMC amplifier.
Cheers,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
Re: Galil 17XX AMC 30A8T Setup questions (Clausing CNC Lathe Conversion)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Marty,
You want to be in current (torque) mode. Set the jumpers and pots as on the sheet for the amp. You will also want to attach the amp enable line from the Galil so that you can shut dowm the amp with a Mach reset signal. You may need to change the ic on your Galil breakout from 7407 to 7406 to get the correct output for the AMC amplifier.
Cheers,
Kenny

Thanks Kenny, I know you and I have spoken and emailed back and forth but thought it better to put it here so that the next guy can use the advice/help.

Did you create any wiring diagrams, sketches or connection spreadsheet that I might be able to use as an example?

I'm laying out the control cabinet now. Should I keep the toroidal power supply seperate from the ICM1900 and the AMC Servo Amplifiers? Right now I think I have room in the rackmount cabinet but it would sit on a sheet of aluminum above the ICM1900, but I am concerned about the proximity of the toroidal power supply that close to all the I/O! I can put it in its own cabinet.

Thanks for all the work that you guys are doing with Galil plugin!

Marty