Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:43:08 AM

Author Topic: Hiconn first thoughts  (Read 12950 times)

Hiconn first thoughts
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:47:02 AM »
Hi Guys,
I am setting one of these up on my Dynamyte DM-3000H lathe and the first impressions are good.
Second impressions will have to wait as I will not be able to work on it for several more months.

I will update as time allows.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Hiconn first thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Thanks Mike, got a link?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:54:29 PM by vitalsystem »
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
First thoughts part II.
I know it has been quite awhile but life has gotten in the way. I am finally in a position to get back into the shop and work on the machines.

I now have the Hicon installed and moving both axis. One real nice feature is the feed hold. It is extremely fast.
The motion is nice and smooth but all I have cut so far is air. I am planning on getting one of the new Hicon Integras for my router as well. Rufi is also making good progress on the plugins for Mach4 so that when Mach4 comes out I will be able to transition right away.

I have several reasons for using the Hicon on my router as well as my lathe.
1. I already have one so the installation on another machine will be straight forward and the fact that it uses 24v I/O will make it more immune to RF noise.
2. The integrated BOB is a nice feature and it has a small foot print.
3. Cost is good compared to other options that require you to by separate breakout boards.
4. Lots of I/O
5. It was on sale.
6. Ethernet connectivity

Mike
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
Appears to be a well thought out, comprehensive solution for an industrial cnc application. But..... I have yet to see any hobby cnc system meet these 3 requirements: instant feed-hold button, analog feedrate override, and a mpg with no lag. IMO if the Hiconn Integra underneath Mach4 does all three, then stand back and watch sales skyrocket.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »
Appears to be a well thought out, comprehensive solution for an industrial cnc application. But..... I have yet to see any hobby cnc system meet these 3 requirements: instant feed-hold button, analog feedrate override, and a mpg with no lag. IMO if the Hiconn Integra underneath Mach4 does all three, then stand back and watch sales skyrocket.

Hi CNC
The feed hold on this is as close to instant as I have seen for mach3. It was specifically one of the things that the Vital team worked on.
 Mach4 will allow for all devices to have better tactile feel in response to feedhold and feedrate overide.

It does have analog inputs that can be configured for a feed rate overide.

I have not used it but the MPG function is supposed to be real smooth as well.

Mike
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
Totally,
If the Hiconn Integra is working this well for you under Mach3, then that says great tihings for what you may see when you run it with Mach4. I have a test bench here in my office set up and waiting for Mach4. I have done all I can with 3 and am about to s__t my pants in anticipation. I am hoping for a special price deal from the hardware guys when 4 beta becomes available...would make sense for them to do that. Will pick up a the integra when/if that happens.
Cheers,
cncs
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »
hi cnc,

for your 4Beta, we can throw in a free MPG with estop button when you order Integra.  or we can do the 25% off that we had going on some time back.  just mention mpg or the discount in the order-notes when placing the order.

the MPG logic is based on electronic gearing, so it is highly responsive. but to achieve that, the mpg encoder must be connected to one of the controller encoder channels.  

regards,
rufi

www.vitalsystem.com/integra

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:11:20 PM by vitalsystem »