Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:53:40 AM

Author Topic: run from here takes forever  (Read 5883 times)

run from here takes forever
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
I have posted a g code for several parts out of plate the total line count is 500000+ I came down to check on the progress and luckely i saw my cutter break (1/8" em) on line 243165 i hit the stop button and took note of the line number I then changed out the cutter and re zeroed my z height. no problem so far right? wrong i found the line number that the cutter broke on and hit the run from here button and i have been waiting ~20 min for it to go through the code to get to the line in question before it will start the prep move. is there any why that i can speed up this process in the future?

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Re: run from here takes forever
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
Try turning off the tool path display. I done a litho this
week with lots of lines. Took my Dell optiplex a long time
to load. I also had a hickup when moving to the center to
do a pocket and have never had a single machine problem before.
I turned off the tool path display (on diagnostic screen bottom left
hand side) and it ran flawlessly for two days non stop.
Hope this helps!!
olf20 / Bob

Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:27:47 AM »
In large code it may be better to use Set Next Line rather than Run From Here. With Set Next Line it  will assume you have all modal states set correctly and  start without running through to check them.

BTW if axis are in motion you should feedhold and wait for the axis to stop before pressing the Stop button, not doing so risks losing position.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:43:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip Hood, I've never tried Set Next Line, always just waited for Run From Here to run through it all. 

I've never seemed to lose position by hitting Stop (esc), been doing that for 3 years, but good to know it's a potential risk.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:33 AM »
If your axis are light and dont have much momentum then it may be you wont lose position too much. How much is too much will depend on the type of work you do and the accuracy needed. If for example it is a wood working machine then a few hundredths of a mm or thousands of an inch will likely not matter, on a metal cutting machine such as a lathe it may well be enough to scrap your part.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
Ahh that makes sense.  I've got Chinese machines, a G0602 lathe and an X2 G8689 mill, so relatively light.  I only cut metal on them so tolerances are very important.  Then again, maybe I've never attributed my lost tolerances to this issue!  I always push escape to cancel, or trip the limit switch on my lathe.  Humm, maybe it does lose a few thou, be a fun test one day, especially during rapids.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »
If your axis are light and dont have much momentum then it may be you wont lose position too much. How much is too much will depend on the type of work you do and the accuracy needed. If for example it is a wood working machine then a few hundredths of a mm or thousands of an inch will likely not matter, on a metal cutting machine such as a lathe it may well be enough to scrap your part.
Hood

Also helps to have servos.  If you're moving slowly enough that the axis coasts to a stop before you exceed the max following error, there will be no position loss, and the servo will bring it back to where Mach3 wants it to be.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
You must have pretty slack following error Ray, mine is set to 20 counts max so at 8000 per 5mm that equates to 0.0125mm or just under 0.0005inch.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
You must have pretty slack following error Ray, mine is set to 20 counts max so at 8000 per 5mm that equates to 0.0125mm or just under 0.0005inch.
Hood

Hood,

I'm running Geckos, which allow up to 128 counts, which is 0.0064".  Doesn't help if you're in a rapid....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
Servos only allow for that tiny amount error?  Wow that's not much at all!!  Here I was thinking it could compensate for all kinds of error.