Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:29:34 PM

Author Topic: Angular axis A  (Read 8842 times)

Vmax

Angular axis A
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
When using an angular axis such as A and it being a rotary table shouldn't the A DRO count up to 360 and reset to 0 as it rotates thru 360 degrees. My setup just keeps on counting up or down. Have I missed something on setup?????? I have the axis set to angular.    Terry

Offline nicad

•  40 40
    • View Profile
Re: Angular axis A
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »
That sounds right.. mine also keeps going. Most of the time I want to know how many times I have revolved anyhow.. rolling from 359 -> 0 would loose that information.

now, the way Mach treats degrees as a unit does not seem right (feedrates, acceleration, etc..). but I can live with it for now (Grex.. muahaha!) :)

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »
You will see that circumstantially when you apply your A-axis that the continuation of the increment makes sense and is desirable.For instance if you are 'incrementally' doing a negative a-axis combined with a positive a-axis move,you will certainly be keeping track of where you are and where you've been within the 360 numbers.Otherwise,you'd be traversing some distance in some other axis rather than just rotating the axis in one place and as with the example of say milling a cone,you would calculate how many turns you need as you went in some axis to cut a proper end and cusp of the cone,prior to cutting and included this in your code which could be accomplished with three moves of three axis at once.This number would be greater than 360 and where the continuing display of your degrees past 360 is a desirable knowledge because it is what you would come up with in your calcualtion for the height and cusp versus rotational turns.-Keith

Vmax

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
I see your point for doing cones or other lathe type work on a mill but in the real world there is only 360 deg in a circle and then you are back to 0. Keeping track of the number of turns is irrelavent to the need to know where you are in that circle at any given moment without have to keep track of total degrees rotated divided by 360. I do a lot of cam lobe work and I may make many rotations of a lobe in a machine process. Keeping track of total degrees is not feasible. I guess there is a need for both setups. Kinda like having absolute and incremental measurements, Knowing the absolute coordinate is vital but not very handy at times.  Terry
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 05:05:26 AM »
On the Fanuc mills you can change this in the parameters. But in the end it is that you see because the Mill KNOWS how many times it has turned.... The problem that most people have is that you are working in deg/min NOT inch/min! SO GREAT care must be taken when programing a 4th axis job. Inverse time is a bout the best because you just tell it how long of a time to make the cut (min / inch)

How is that clear as mud?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Vmax

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:16:31 AM »
Brian are you refering to the divisions of an angle in Deg,min,sec. Yep that is the way it is suppose to be. I guess it is the "old school" way of doing it. It would be nice if Mach had the 360 deg option. I can deal with the .001 of a degree but the 10,000 degrees of rotation doesn't work for me.  (:~)= Terry
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »
Nope :) The rate is in Deg per Min ... This is something that takes most some time to get there head around it.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Vmax

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 09:49:05 PM »
OK the RATE.  gotcha yes the rate would be deg/min. Polar think Polar!!!  (:~)= Terry

Vmax

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 11:26:36 AM »
ART, is there any way to make Mach only count 360deg per rev on a Polar axis and not totalize the count on multiple rotations???  Thanks Terry

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 12:31:16 PM »
How about a liberal sprinkling of G92 A0 after a turn?-Keith