Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:56:50 PM

Author Topic: Wizard DXF import  (Read 4534 times)

Wizard DXF import
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
hi everyone,

is it possisble to have a wizard read/extract a dxf file (entitys part only, very simple shapes; circles, squares etc)
do some magic and turn i into gcode?  ???  ::)

i already figured out a simple formula/algorithm to convert dxf coordinates into gcode in excell,
would be great if it could be done with a wizard

js

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard DXF import
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
Yes and has been done but why even bother when you can do the same and even better using a free
CAM program.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
hi,

because none of the "free" or even moderate priced cam progs does what i need
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
and i would only need a fraction of what an ordinary cam package does,
kinda overkill for what i need (99% circle cut outs and polishing with non-rigid tools)
+ no cam prog ive seen supports on-the fly tool diameter updating,

this is why a need the gcode contor only + on-screen tool diameters dro´s

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,21049.0.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
SO how is a wizard going to be better than a CAM . Both you will have to STOP the program then update the info and then reload and restart.

G10L1 is an answer as Ray has already stated.

Also a parametric Gcode program could do the job. 

Also a CB macro button could be used to update the ToolTable.

BUT to get any of them to work correctly ON THE FLY will take some time and testing. IT WILL require that ALL your tool Paths be programmed with ToolComp offsets G41/42/40 to be able to USE the tooltable.

You WILL have to learn to use them and apply them.

WHAT you are doing is really NOT unique. It is a basic toolpath adjustment via the tooltable.Been going on for decades.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »
hi TP,
thanks for the feedback,

im aware that this strategy might be an unortodox approach
but i think it would be neat doing everything from one single platform,
no cad or cam, just mach3

sinks (and hobs) comes in hundreds of different sizes and shapes, though 90% of them are just rectanguar with fillets,
add to that hundreds of different ways a same contour/outline shape can be used/machined depending on type of installation/mounting
(different slab/counter thickness, edge offset, edge profil,flush or positive/negative reveal/overhang etc)

thats why i would like to just load a simple outline file (preferable dxf), tap in desired offset, select edge profile (tool set), thickness etc, build the code with a button-hit
and go.

for the cut-out, i would just select the mill bit and let the wizard "loop" the toolpath to set depth (thickness),
and for the polishing, just select pos #1 polishing wheel, run one pass, if necessary, repeat or change the dia a little, then select next tool etc.

i guess such a wizard wouldnt be much more complex than the other shape/pocketing wizards,
but im no expert...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
IT is not unorthodox in the CNC world it is called Conversational programming. You define what you need through an interaface and then the CNC creates the proper Gcode. It can be done many ways.

Macro programming
SubProgram programming
Parametric programing
Wizards programming

Or a mixture of methods.

IF you have your shapes already defined it is a matter of placement and code creation.
IF you are to use ToolComp to adjust for tool offsets then the shapes MUST be programmed with TC in mind.  No way out of that one (;-)

Let us know how it works out, (;-) TP