Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:44:18 AM

Author Topic: Soft Limits w/ Machine Coords?  (Read 5896 times)

Soft Limits w/ Machine Coords?
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »
Maybe this should be under the "Features" category but, after my last post there I was afraid maybe no one would take me seriously...

Is there a way to make the Soft Limits look at the Machine Coordinates instead of Work Coordinates?  When using work offsets sometimes it is nice to be able to go Neg (to move the cutter away from the Jig to load a new part for example).  Well, with the Soft limits active of course this won't work not to mention that with a new reference work Coord the Max limit is WAAAAAY off the table.

In other words (unless I am missing something) the whole Softlimits system kinda becomes irrelevant when using a work offset.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sid
Re: Soft Limits w/ Machine Coords?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:51:34 PM »
Hmmm weirdness....  Now Softlimits ARE working with Offsets.  When I first loaded the Program & Then the G-code something didn't "take" but now all seems OK.  I'll try to isolate what happened.  If anyone has any input lemme know??? 

Thanks,
Sid

Hood

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »
Softlimits have always been machine coords, maybe you set them up without referencing? maybe you need to restart after setting them up? dont really know but as long as they are working properly thats all that matters ;)
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »
After my 1st post I started thinking "What else could they be other than Mach Coords"?  D'Oh.  Well anyway, I started to suss out what happened.  It did it again so I know I'm not totally losing it.

Here's what I did and what happened...

Loade Mach3 V2.31  Set up my Work Offset, loaded the G-Code and hit Run. The first line of my code was a G1 X -.500 so, I got a message saying "Soft Limits warning continue?"  I said yes and the file halted on a Soft Limits limit.  Weird?  So I jog around a little in the Neg area.  Do a Goto Z (Work Offset) and Run the file again.  All is OK.  So for some reason the first time it/Mach sees  a Neg it sounds the Softlimits alarm (almost as if it doesn't realize that there is a work offset being used).  Then, after a little 'massage'  the ol girl comes around!  Weird but 'not a show stopper'

Sid
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »
I'm fairly sure it will work right if you regen the toolpath before running.

Chris
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »
Could you put your program up here so we can see it.Curious as to why its doing that,mine is working correctly.

Joe.