Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 09:33:26 AM

Author Topic: How to alter jog wheel adjustments  (Read 2885 times)

How to alter jog wheel adjustments
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question,

I have mach 3 running on my Bridgeport "Boss 8". I didn't retrofit the machine, but i'm having problems with the "jog" wheel. If I have to find the edge of a part I use the wheel in X Y or Z. But the movement is 0.4mm per click. My machine doesn't have manual handles, and obviously 0.4mm is a fairly big step. Is there a way to configure the machine to make the adjustment finer. So I can get the machine accurately zero'd.

Thanks for any help.

Ricky

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: How to alter jog wheel adjustments
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
I don't have my MPG's  calibrated, and use them such that.... turn really slow they move in small increments ( i think abot .006" per rev so can easily creep in to a tenth ). Turn them
fast and can i can move the axis some what  quickly.  No indents either....Great for creeping in to touch off :o
Play wih the counts per unit and velocity under MPG settings  to get a "turning touch" or "feel" that suites you . To each their owne ;)
RICH

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
This is from the older manual, but can you not just set the "STEP increment" from the TAB flyout ?
Not using an MPG myself.
Russ

"After suitable scaling as set in Config>Encoders, each "click" from the MPG encoder
requests one incremental jog step (with the distance set as for hotkey Step jogging). The
requests will be queued up so, for slow feedrates, rapid movement of the wheel may mean
that the axis moves for some time after the wheel movement has stopped.
This feature is of particular use in making very fine controlled movements when setting up
work on the machine."

"Each click should move by one jog increment so you should configure Encoder 3
so that its Counts per Unit is the counts per "click". For example a 1000 cycles per rev.
encoder will generate 4000 "counts". If you have a 100 tooth detent wheel then Counts per
Unit should be set to 40."
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:53:08 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
Put it into multistep mode and each click will be whatever you have set for Jog increment. On my machines I have two rotary switches, one selects the axis the other changes from Velocity mode of MPG to Multistep mode and three different setp settings, 1mm, 0.1mm and finally 0.01mm. It works extremely well and I actually find I only use Velocity mode and Multistep 0.01mm

Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. I did try altering the mode on the "tab" fly out. But it didn't seem to work. I'll try it again later and explain the problems in more detail.

Sorry I'm very vague on the matter, but as I didn't retrofit the machine its a steep learning curve. Hood, what you have sounds great, no doubt later i'll be bugging you all when I decide to add another rotary switch to my machine :)