Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:15:46 AM

Author Topic: driver test does not open  (Read 4504 times)

driver test does not open
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
I use windows xp pro. I cannot open the driver test window. I downloaded on lap top and transfered to CNC computer {pc} . It will not open on either . Can anyone help . Thanks Bern  PS be gentle Im pretty much a vidiot.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: driver test does not open
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Are you double clicking drivertest.exe to open it?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Thanks Hood, Yes I am . The hour glass shows up for a split sec ,then nothing . There is no .exe, just an icon before the word driver test .

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
It does sound like its the right file, just windows will be set up to hide known extensions thus you dont see the .exe.
It is 32bit XP and not x64 edition by  any chance?
Cant think what else would cause that other than it possibly being corrupt or possibly antivirus or even a virus itself stopping it running.
Hood

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Hood,  It was a used pc that was wiped clean and not been online since. Well maybe , but only when it was demo ed to me. How can I tell if 32 or 64bit ? Bern

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
It is not likely to be 64bit XP and to be honest I have never seen it but I would imagine if you looked at the system from device manager it would say there. Also on the C Drive if you look and see system32 folder I think that would mean its 32bit OS but possibly not.

Try downloading Mach again and installing over the top of itself to see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
OK ,redownloaded . I think it isn't asking where to save . So it just saves to my lap top . Now when I click on it , it opens and installs on lap top including the port driver . so when I send to the thumb drive I don't get the installers for my CNC pc . Does this sound like something or what. This was my first worm out of the can,the reason I looked for the driver test in the first place . So what I 'm trying to say is I do not get any movement at all . This made me think about parrallel port not talking to gecko controller ect. Thanks Bern

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
Bern,

You should be running the Mach installation program on the computer you will be using to run your CNC.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
 Tweakie
I think that is my next step on my way to CNCing  . So let you know when I figure that out .
 Thanks Bern

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Just in case you are not clear what Tweakie means
What you need to do is download to your laptop then copy that install file to your pen drive then copy it onto your machines computer, you can then double click on it. You could try downloading direct to the pen drive and also installing direct from the pen drive but sometimes that causes problems so best to do as I mentioned first.
Hood