Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:00:16 PM

Author Topic: Milling the table  (Read 2735 times)

Milling the table
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:10 AM »
Hello !
My CNC table is made of 3 aluminium profiles (size 30*150*1000mm). I put them together and make them as rigid as possible with a large piece of aluminium behind.
Despite this, i have measured a height difference between the 3 profiles in the X-Axis direction (0.5mm).
I think that milling the table is the best solution.
Is it a common way to get X-Y moves parallelism with the table ?
Do you have some other ideas ?

Thank you.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Milling the table
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
Hi Michel,

As all my work is done with a vacuum table or double sided sticky to hold the work I fitted a sacrificial plastic sheet onto the machine's aluminium table then milled that flat and parallel. Made a lot of mess but was easier than milling the alloy.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
If you do decide to mill the table flat, I would still mill the spoil board flat when attached. If you have never cut aluminum before, you might end up with more problems than 0.5mm. There's nothing super difficult about it, but a bit of experience with it won't hurt, either.
Is it a common way to get X-Y moves parallelism with the table ?
Absolutely. In fact, If were to see a spoil board NOT faced off, it would strike me as rather odd, or perhaps "rookie-ish".
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »
It is going to depend on IF the problem lies in the table top or the slide mechanisms. IF it is in the slides then you will solve nothing cutting the table you will still have problems. Also what  type mill are we talking? Bed mill gantry mill knee mill .

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:19:06 AM by BR549 »