Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:54:48 PM

Author Topic: Lathe Tool Change Macro Installation  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Lathe Tool Change Macro Installation
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
I have a Dyna DM3000 (Yeah I know that project again?). This lathe has a vertically oriented rotary tool changer. Many moons ago I was given the tool change macro from a person with this same lathe. At the time I wasnt ready mechanically, electronically or mentally. Now I am much closer electrically and mechanically, mentally is yet to be decided.

I had the macro on a thumb drive, I copied it into the mach3/macros/profile i want to use it with and replaced the existing M6start.m1s file. I can see it if I open it with the VB script editor though I am not attempting to modify it at the moment, just making sure it had content.

If I try to call a tool, say T2 (I am entering T2 M6 in the MDI command line) first nothing happens with the tool changer but I do get a message that says "Requested Tool No.=0

I do not have any entries in my tool table but assumed the turret would spin to tool 2 and back up against the pawl like the macro states.

Besides not knowing what I am doing and jumping from project to project. What should be my next step? I can see the macro if I open it with VB editor but I cant see how to copy it for you. If I open it with notepad it is compressed though it is in the same order.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Tool Change Macro Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
Ok figured out how to post the macro, I think.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
apparently not

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
ok the rest of the macro

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Lathe tool calls are T0101, where the first two digits are the tool number and last two are the offset number.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Hood, you are the man! There are still some issues, most likely in motor tuning and calibration. It does rotate and back up onto a pawl, not necessarily the correct tool yet. It seems to pass the correct tool number but our machines were run by different drives. I also have my A axis set to 360 steps per rev when maybe it should be 200. That might stop the over rotation. I am getting much closer to a crash.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
The steps per rev was the issue, set it to 200 and the tool change macro works perfectly! It selects the correct tool each time. I did have to change the "safe" area in the in the macro. I am sure my axis are set up iincorrectly. I originally had to change the motor direction of the toolchangers stepper due to a long stall against the pawl followed by a short forward movement. So I am guessing that during initial start up, select a tool and press enter, if proper tool is not selected, simply rotate the turret til the proper tool is in place, from then on out it is indexed properly (for that run or day). The tool changer has no encoder or switch to identify a specific location/tool (at least that I know of yet). But so far everything is great. So Hood, when you set up your lathe, as you are facing it. Where is your Z 0? at the chuck? Or the opposite end? Are all moves in the positive or negative? (I have mine presently set where the farthest away from the chuck is 0 and moving in positive numbers til reaching the chuck @ 11" of travel). Same with the X, where is 0? With the carriage all the way away from you the operator. Doesnt seem to be a straight answer by searching. I know you have it figured out! Btw I cant thank you enough as always! It was great to make one step forward tonight, I better stop before some smoke comes out.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:15 AM »
Hi Fastest1
X0 is the centre line of your spindle with positive values going toward your tool post depending on front or rear tool post and z0 most people set on the end of the work piece, so all cutting in the z direction will be negative values - that is travel towards the chuck is negative. At least that's what I do.
Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 04:22:13 AM »
Yes thats normal working practice, Z moves are, like milling, negative when cutting the workpiece.
Hood