Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:50:01 PM

Author Topic: Sherline driver acting wierd  (Read 3569 times)

Sherline driver acting wierd
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »
First post.  The problem is the motors are spinning in only one direction regardless of the + or - in the mpg I use in mach3 for all of the 3 axes.  But it wasnt always like this..

Yesterday I set everything up but did not attach the motors to my mill yet.  I set the pins as x-2-3, y-4-5, z-6-7 , and 1's for the end columns for all 3 axes  as well and all worked well. 

This morning I proceded to install the motors.  on one of them I rotated the handwheel and realized that I may have screwed something because you are not supposed to do that with the motors connected to the driver unit.  After trying to run the motors again, nothing happened except humming from all of them.  I tried playing with the pinouts and found that they have changed to x-3-4, y-5-6, and z-7-8.  The only problem is that they now only move in one direction, and when I play with the activehigh and direction checkboxes, it doesnt affect anything.  Also, if i try to fiddle with the pinouts, the direction of sole movement may change, now moving only in the other direction.

Did I kill the driver by moving the handwheel?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Sherline driver acting wierd
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
Sounds like the Dir pin assigned is wrong, are you positive that it is the ones you have entered?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi, thank you!  Yes I just chacked again and the pins are 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.  yesterday they were 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 but if I try those, nothing happens but a low hum.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
Pins can not change like that unless you physically swap wires on the breakout board. Did you wire this yourself or was it already a complete package?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
Wow.  This was a complete cnc upgrade kit from sherline.  It was working yesterday and the only things I disconnected and reconnected were the motor plugs which are definitely in the correct plugs the whole time.  I literally didnt change anything.  One thing that comes to mind is that when I had evertything working yesterday, I guess the setting for the pins were not saved because when I started up mach3 this morning, I noticed all pins were 0's, so I thought- oh, i didnt save the settings somehow- I'll just reset them to what they were yesterday.  I wonder if I need to reinstall mach3 and start from scratch...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
See if you can get a xml from the supplier of the kit, that way the settings should all be correct.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »
I just looked it up and found that my pins were in fact reversed because they are not listed in the same order as shown on the mach3 output page.  It works now!  I'd buy you a beer if I could!  Thanks!

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
Good news :)
Hood