Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:52:55 AM

Author Topic: Rotary engraving  (Read 3775 times)

Rotary engraving
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »
I am thinking of ways to machine on the outside of a ring/diameter using a rotary axis.

1, Take XYZ path substitute A for Y then reconfigure the motor to rotate based on the circumference of the machined diameter.
2, Run machine with the A configure as in Y and rotate based on the circumference of the machined diameter.
3, Scale the Y axis into degrees by a factor given the circumference of the machined diameter.
4, convert the Y values in degrees by Y /  circumference of the machined diameter * 360.

Or is there another way?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Rotary engraving
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
Have you looked at "Wrapper" software?

RICH

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
What is often called Wrapping is pretty much exactly what you have described. 

There are lots of variations on this theme.  Scale original artwork, use axis scaling in Mach, alter steps per unit, among many others.

CNCWrapper is a very handy little app that will do all the calculations for you.

http://www.cncwrapper.com/

Greolt

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
This will replace the Y's with A's in your Gcode. Calcs feed rate and allows scaling.
al

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:19 AM »
thanks for the link i had already created a spreadsheet that converted the Y to A and then scaled it to degrees.

i was wondering really if there was a function i mach at did it as it is half way there as it does carry out radius feed comp.

I thought there could be something like Cycle800, triore, or tilted working plane that would map it on the controls.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Attached pdf file clarify the derivation of the indexing formula