Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 02:13:35 PM

Author Topic: Problem making my steppers turn  (Read 2946 times)

Problem making my steppers turn
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »
I have used mach 3 for many years on my taig mill.  I am in the process of building a new router and purchased a servo controller set from keling.  I have wired the set as best as I could figure using online videos, but cannot get the servos to actually turn.  When I press a direction key the servo vibrates but the shaft doesn't turn.  The guy at keling suggested I need to tune the motor.  I think I have done this but am not sure what he means.  Anybody with experience with this please let me in on the secret!

Thanks!
Bill Wolkan
Re: Problem making my steppers turn
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Your subject line says "steppers", your post says "servos".  Which is it?  What kind of drivers??  Nobody here can provide any help without knowing exactly what the hardware really is...
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »
Sorry for being inconsistant in my subject and post!  I have steppers not servos.  Here is a list of Keling equipment I have.  KL4030 drivers, 2100-30-4B stepper motors, C10 breakout board, 30V/9.7A power supply, and a 5V power supply.  I have double checked my wiring and calculated my motor tuning for the Mach setup.  I have set the dip switches for 1/4 stepping and 3.0 amps based on having a 1/2-20 double start screw.  I hope this helps.

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
Change the Step and Dir pin for an axis in Mach and see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?  What should I change them to?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
What I am meaning is swap around the pins you have assigned for eac axis. It sounds as if your problem may be that you are sending out the pulses on the direction pin rather than the step pin.
Hood