Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:28:56 PM

Author Topic: Laser cutting using mach3 with xy table move only  (Read 3736 times)

Laser cutting using mach3 with xy table move only
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
I want to use mach3 to control the table to move only but keep the laser fix, can I do this with mach3.
give me some idea or link to learn more about how to do this.
It will be use to cut ply wood about 1/8 to 1/4" thick, the size of table is about 20x20", the object weight 2-3 lb the most.
someone said 40W co2 is good enough. what size of stepper motor and controller is good for this.
I know most people use parallel port to connect the pc, is usb controller popular on this or not.
any suggestion welcome.
thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Laser cutting using mach3 with xy table move only
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
The answer is yes.
It may take some time getting through because it has got quite long now but check out this thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12444.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Such a nice project, how the things work now?
back on 2009 how much is the laser?, for now if I want to use a 40W to cut 1/4" wood is that ok and how good is the edge look, of course I want it look normal without too many burn mark.
since this is the first time to do this I don't mind to use a long arm station jigsaw as a simple tool to test out the xy table and all the software setup is something I can handle before I go the big step to use laser.
any link or pointer for me to start working on this project. such as where to get motor and controller, usb or parallel port type to choose etc.
thanks.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
it is a scroll saws that I want to try it on not a jigsaw.
sorry about that.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
The laser is still working fine, 3 years down the line now but the tube was made in the USA not China so that may make a difference.

Cost is impossible to answer - I try to buy things as available, sometimes second user and shop around for the best prices.

With a laser, some wood cuts better than others but a number of suppliers now stock laserable plywood, mdf and others which should cut well but you will always have a blackened edge.
This forum has a number of members using lasers to cut wood, generally mdf, and from the pictures you can clearly see the blackened edges. http://oplaser.co.uk/opsupport/

The best place to look for motors and controllers would probably be ebay but beware that some of the stuff (not all) from China may be less than good quality.

To start with I suggest you look for parallel port connection, you can always upgrade to usb (external motion controller) at a later time.

Tweakie.
PEACE