Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:50:03 AM

Author Topic: Newbie needs help!  (Read 6401 times)

Newbie needs help!
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
Hello all!  I was going to introduce my self in the Intro. thread but I had a few questions as well so I figured I'd start a new one.

My names Mike, I am from Michigan, work construction, and enjoy the outdoors.  I was put in front of a CNC machine bought off ebay that didn't fully work and told to figure it out.  Well, like many, I've never dealt with a CNC machine or heard of mach3(which was already installed).  The person he had working on it before said they had to mix the XML files from two different versions of mach 3 to get the machine working at all.  That raised my eyebrows from the start.  Well I went with that persons revised XML for mach3 and after some tweaking in Mach 3 have got it to make code for DFX files using Sheetcam and STL files using Meshcam and then carve using mach 3 without too much problem except two that I can think of right now.

1.)  I need to calibrate my Machine with Mach3, so I go to steps per and as I adjust I get up to 25000 for my Y and can't go any higher, which is a problem because for every 10 inches it only goes 7.7 in. so I'm stuck on where to go from here?  Idk if something else can be adjusted or if its in the xml or if its the machine.  I just hate that for every image I want cut out I have to plan on it being 77 percent smaller than what it says it will be.  Any help or suggestions?

2.)  Every time I load my G-code from sheetcam or meshcam, the image will be VERY small on the table display on Mach3's screen but it will cut out the images big(77 % of what I tell it be).  Any help here?

Thanks for any help in advance, I will be on here often for help now and hopefully eventually helping other people.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:24:01 AM by mp2008 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs help!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »
Sounds to me like you are working in Inches and your Mach setup is in Millimeter units. Check Config / Native units to see.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »
Also if you require  a higher velocity than you can currently achieve in Motor Tuning window then you need to increase the Kernel Frequency in Mach, likely it will be at 25KHz  so you could increase to 35KHz or 45KHz. Warning here, the higher the kernel the more unstable your computer could be, some computers can handle the 100KHz kernel no problem, others struggle at 45KHz, so only set as high as you need.

As Tweakie mentioned though you may be needing to change your native units.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »
Here is some info that should help.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
Ahhh.... thanks for the info and that pdf file.  I'll be checking it out tomorrow and making adjustments so I'll let you guys know how it works out. 
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »
Well it wasn't my Native Units(thanks anyways).  So I changed the Kernel Frequency to 35k and I was able to adjust my steps per (mathematically based on the 77%) to where it should be the same size.  Thats seems like it has taken care of my size problem(though I haven't cut anything out since).  But my image in the table display is still very small.  I'm guessing I have to adjust my table size?  Any help here?  

Another thing that I'm having problems with is Meshcam, my z's are always positive in my g-code so its cutting above the stock.  I'm sure its because I'm not really familiar with Meshcam yet and I'm on the 30 day trial period.  Anyone familiar with Meshcam or know where I could find help for this software?  

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
You may be on table view, click the display button then regen button and see if you get a closer toolpath.
Sorry cant help with meshcam :(
Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
You may be on table view, click the display button then regen button and see if you get a closer toolpath.
Sorry cant help with meshcam :(
Hood
I'll try that out,  I'm not necessarily hooked on Meshcam yet, do you have any suggestions as far as a similiar CAM program that writes code for STL and DXF(those are the only two file types I'm really familiar with) and writes tool paths in the same price range?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:32:07 PM by mp2008 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I have heard a lot of people say CAMBAM is good. I downloaded the trial version a week or so back but have not had a chance to try it out.
SheetCAM is also another that is mentioned a lot.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
Anyone familiar with Meshcam or know where I could find help for this software?  

Cambam can do 3D but the pathing options are not as good as MeshCams.
Cambam does not provide tool definiton for ball endmill use and others, and you may need that for work you will be doing.
Go to MeshCam and Cambam site's, download the manuals and READ them, look at the tutorials, videos, etc.

I like both of them :D

Hmm.... Mach, Meshcam, Cambam, 3d drawing / CAD programs.........enjoy the learning curve, ;)

RICH
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:17:26 PM by RICH »