Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:02:00 AM

Author Topic: motor setup  (Read 6067 times)

motor setup
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
I am setting up a replacement controller for a stepper motor system.  No matter what I do I cannot get the motors to run smooth either in jog or running a program.  I have tried about every setting on the motor tuning possible.  I upped the amperage on the conroller boards and it worked great for about 3 minutes.  Now its back to jerky.  What might I be missing in Mach 3's settings? 

Thanks, John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: motor setup
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 07:58:43 PM »
Post your xml. Is it jerky in manual jog? Running code?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
I am still trying to set up the motors and they are jerky in manual jog.  I tried a canned program and it did the same thing. I have noticed quite a frequency spike with the computer.

Thanks, John

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »
Give us as much detail about your set up as possible and post your xml.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:18:50 PM »
you need to run the driver test and see if you see a graph that looks like a nice flat line... (To run the driver test you must have mach3 closed)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 11:24:03 PM »
I did that and it has a lot of spikes in it.   I have since tried it on a laptop with a PCMCIA parallel port with the same settings and cannot get the machine to function with that computer. Still working on that.  Unfortunately it has a very good signal compared to the PC.  The PC is spiking to 22,000 down to 4500 or so.    The laptop is fairly steady at about 24500. 

Thanks, John

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:31:46 AM »
Laptops with a PCMCIA parallel port do not work. You chances are about as good as my lotto ticket letting me retire. SO don't spend too much time on it.

;)
Chad
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »
What mode are you running in? 25KHz?

The desktop computer would give you less trouble :(
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »
Laptops with a PCMCIA parallel port do not work. You chances are about as good as my lotto ticket letting me retire. SO don't spend too much time on it.

;)
Chad

Chad, I've seen posts on CNC Zone from people using them. Apparently some do work, but not all.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
I was reading the speeds off the diagnostic screen. Will to low of a amp setting cause the motors to be erratic?.  As I said when I changed the resistors to go from three amps to approx. four they worked fine for about five  minutes.  I can up the amperage more without hurting anything so think I will try that this morning and go back to the PC if I can find the right resistors.  Radio Shack is very limited in choices.  There is the chance of some massive electrical noise causing this grief I would imagine.  What I am doing here is replacing a old Centroid controller with another controller which supports third axis interpolation.  Its still open loop and the A-B phase stepper motors. 

Thanks, John