Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:38 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 missing DXF import.  (Read 15104 times)

Mach3 missing DXF import.
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:04 AM »
I have the demo version and TurboCAD. I have a .DXF from TurboCAD. The MACH3 user guide in section 6.7 refers to a File>Import function in Mach3. There is no such function in the file menu when I click the file menu drop-down. The web site says MACH3 can import DXF via LazyCam. In LazyCam there is an open DXF file function, but I can't figure out how to translate it into GCODE. Which of the two tools should I use and how does it work? I have Mach3 Version R3.043.022 running under Windows 7, 64-bit. Just trying it out before buying all the hardware and software.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 missing DXF import.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:33 AM »
You need to look at LazyCAM this program now imports DXF files for you to generate g-code.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
Hey Graham,

thanks, mate! So I got further ... created Gcode from Lazycam. It did cut the very basic outline shape I designed in TurboCad, but missed all the cutouts and grooves and such from the 3D object. LazyCam in no way matches to the description of the DXF file import process in chapter 8 of the Mach3 Mil user guide. I tried clicking on options to reorganize layers and such to no avail. Do I need to design something in a layered way rather than cutting 3D objects out of a solid in TurboCad to get the translator do more than simply trace the outline shape of the object?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Lazycam does not do 3D. You can find a manual for it in Members Docs.
You can work as you wish but using layers for  LC is my owne preference.

If you want to do 3D machining start looking at software which supports it.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
I have Mach3 Version R3.043.022 running under Windows 7, 64-bit

Thought Mach only runs with 32 bit. ???

RICH
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
my 64 bit xp machine ran mach3 just fine. Then after a week the hard drive crashed and couldn't find some LTRD file to start up windows, so i re-installed xp and mach would not ever run again. So i got a $25 craigs list 32bit machine and all is good again. Puzzles me why it worked in the first place, all the forum posts said it wouldn't, go figure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:30:11 PM by bizzz3 »
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
I also got a 32-bit refurbished machine. It's clean of everything but Mach3. According to instructions, Win7 64-bit won't run the parallel port. So far I haven't found anything that won't run on Win 7 64-bit, but I've yet to hook up the router.  There are some nuances to learn like the write macro only works if you have absolute coordinates in force. I thought that might be an OS issue, but deep in the manual there is a mention of the issue and you just need to figure out the right G-code to fix it. DXF input is in LazCam, for which the "manual" is, well, not exactly up for an excellence award. It's dissappointing that the Mach3 manual doesn't fully describe the software as it actually runs, but it's a shareware program as I understand it, so my expectations were limited and I'm generally pleased with it. It's a pain that DXF input won't do 3D. I have to code stuff a layer at a time and cut/paste the G-code for each layer. Learning as I go. Like Rich said ... I guess I have the option of finding more exensive options that do support 3D.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »
DXF input is in LazCam, for which the "manual" is, well, not exactly up for an excellence award

No documentation exists for LazyCam other than the manual I wrote which is in Members Docs. If you comment on any portion of it or can provide written
documentation I would be happy to review your information and update the manual. I will reinforce that it's not meant for 3D and and would strongly suggest
that a different software be used rather than trying to creating numerous layers / offsets / etc to create a rough 3D pathing. Just not worth the effort.
To use the more advanced features you need a license and that is not shareware.

Win 7 64-bit, but I've yet to hook up the router

Current Mach is 32 bit only

RICH
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
Rich, is there a list of the advanced features you get when you buy Mach3? I'd understood that the limitation was only the size of the job in the trial version. Alternatively do you have a shortlist of recommended software that is a little more elegant for 3D? Thanks for all of your comments by the way.