Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:23:42 AM

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Controller Setup  (Read 6997 times)

Xbox 360 Controller Setup
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
I'm trying to get the Xbox 360 controller plugin to work on my mill.  I downloaded and installed the directx and Xbox360_32eng from the links along with the plug in.  The controller is a gamestop controller.  I can see the controller on my control panel but mach doesn't seem to see it.  I did make sure to check the enable.  I also tried typing in the vendor ID 0e6f and the product id 0401 but it doesn't seem to take.  Anyone have any suggestions on where to look next?  If the solution is to get a genuine Xbox brand controller, do I need to uninstall / reinstall anything or just plug it in and give it a try?  I saw somewhere that I should see at the bottom corner of the mach screen that it recognizes the XBox controller.  I'm not seeing that if that's any clue.

Thanks and advance for any help.
Re: Xbox 360 Controller Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
I have a 3rd party controller, that I got it at WallMart for $24.   It glows blue even and I have to say I really really like it.   Its the best deal for a rugged controller out there and my kids think its pretty cool that I use one to control my machine.  They were puzzled for days over my buying it, "so dad, why did you get that controller".    I have the red button programmed as an estop and the green as my start button (for starters), the blue zero's all my axis.....   I always keep it in my handy while making that first cut.

But, getting the right values to use as the vendor ID is kinda tricky, I know it took me a few tries.

Under the device manager, in the device tree there should be one called XBox Controller For Windows Properties.   If you click on that it shows you a string, in my case it's
USB\VID_12AB@PID_0301\0263345

From this, the values to use in the plugin are "12AB" and "301".

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:49:09 PM by SkyMoCo »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »
the solution is to get a genuine Xbox brand controller, do I need to uninstall / reinstall anything or just plug it in and give it a try

If not a genuine X Box Controller than your probably on your owne to figure it out.
There are instructions from Lee on how to set it up and you should have a read of them.
Also there is a thread on it.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
Rich,

I think you misunderstood what I meant by Gamestop controller.  It's an Xbox 360 controller but it's not an original used Microsoft controller from an Xbox 360.  I purchased it at Gamestop.  From researching the topic extensively before posting, it seems that this shouldn't be a problem but that others had gotten better results from original Microsoft controllers.  I had read the setup instructions which said the controller must be the first one used on the computer.  That's why I wanted to know if I could maybe uninstall the driver for the Gamestop brand Xbox controller and reinstall with an original Microsoft Xbox controller.  Of course on my limited budget, I'd much rather just get the one I already have working.

Can you point me to the particular thread you are referring to?  I had also searched many of those unsuccessfully before posting.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
Got it!!!!!!!  Not quite sure how except I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the controller and Direct X.  Opened up the config for the controller and Voila, the vendor and product ID was in there and it worked like a charm!!!!!!!!  ;D

Thank you Mr. Lee Davis for this plug in.  It's going to be very helpful.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
Sorry this is my first time on the forum and I quess this is a question for Lee Davis
I am setting up an xbox controller on my cnc and Mach3 does not appear to find the xbox controller.
I have installed the plugin and Directx, my guess is that it is not finding it due to the vendorID and ProductID. 
Does the current version support VendorID 24C6, and ProductID 530A?
Thank you