Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:46:33 AM

Author Topic: conversational cnc programming software  (Read 10253 times)

conversational cnc programming software
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
I am new to Arcsoft Mach3, and am looking for a compatible conversational cnc programming software.  I have a customer wanting serial numbers engraved in some pieces and it's been 10+ years since I did gcode programming.  The last conversational program I used was CAD2CNC or HURCO milling software.  Any suggestions on an inexpensive software package would help.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: conversational cnc programming software
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
Will you be using Mach3 as the controller?
RICH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
Mach wizzards are compraable to conversational. I dont know if there is allready a wizzard, macro, or plug-in do what your wanting or not but if not lots of folks here are capable of makeing you a solution I'm sure.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
i was trying to figure that out my self, i want to know what would work best for mach3.  my dad already has some pro engineering software but it does not work well on our desktop, what are some of my options?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Yes Rich, we will be using Mach3 to control the DIYCNC 6040.  Brett, I would be happy to receive the help from anyone in this group.  I took a look at newfangledsolutions.com and didn't see anything that could be used to program toolpath for text.  The rest of NFS's package look rather user friendly and easy to figure out.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
Text? DeskEngrave can do simple text, and gives a few options. Its free, too. You can find it here.... http://deskam.com
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
You can do a lot with the wizards and there is also a wizard for text, but as posted, DeskEngrave is easy to use. As soon as you get into requiring code for profiles then you need to use
some kind of CAD / CAM which should have a some kind of CAD as part of it. May want to have a look at CamBam.

RICH
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
RICH.    i will be using the harbor freight x2 mini mill and converting it to cnc.I have already dowloawded the free version of mach3.  I have been reading the manual for it and learning how to use it. It also comes with lazycam beta, witch in my opinion i don't really want to use it. because of its limitations because it was the free version. My dad took lots of courses of the use of all three stages, (cad, cam, And cnc), he already has some pro engineering software downloaded onto our computure, but im not sure if they would work well for mach3. Can you tell me watch you think i should get as fare as Cad and Cam, because i would like to start reading some manuals and learn how to use both. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE.         

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
I never used Pro E my self but know that it's a great design tool. The mechanical guys use it at work.You'll be able to do 2D and 3D design and engineering analysis with it and like manny high end software it has numerous packages for it. I doubt very much that you have a legal seat for that software .....I know how much it costs per seat at work and also have a flavor for the learning curve
associated with it. What is important for use along with Mach is that you need to generate the proper Gcode so it will need a post processor tailored for Mach. Pro E can export a DXF and if the export is set up properly that output should be usable by other programs and the same for the 3D file export.  Since your DAD uses it I would suggest you ask him  to create some CNC files for you to try out.

High end stuff is great but manny times it's overkill for what you will use it for as a hobby. ie; if you don't use the software much you willl spend more time re-learning it to do the simple stuff.
As far as being proficient on the high end stuff.........we bring in folks for work that claim they have 10 to 15 years experience and most of them will fail our test to be hired!
Your learing curve will be great at this point in time and it never stops.

I mentioned Cam Bam becuse it has a basic CAD package, can generate good code for 2d and 3D machining for Mach and some nice features you would not find in a package for the money.
There is a free version which you can try and if it's not your "cup of tea" then look into something else. At one time there were some 100 or so CAD packages out there so don't think you want to spend your life trying them all out.  

Nothing wrong with trying out the wizards that come with Mach as that will give you experience and insight to find what you would like from a CAD / CAM program.
Enjoy the learning curve as the walking path around the park is a long one, ;)
RICH  

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:50:25 AM by RICH »