Hello Guest it is November 14, 2019, 01:21:50 AM

Author Topic: Plugin locking up Mach  (Read 3705 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Plugin locking up Mach
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
I am having problems with getting Mach 3 to work with my Galil DMC2030. I have a fresh install of XP and Mach and the plugin but now when I select the plugin to configure it locks Mach up completely and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to get it to end. The DMC works perfectly with Galil Tools and WSDK. I've had it working a couple times lately but now every time it locks.  Any ideas out there?
Thanks, Allen
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Allen,

I don't want to hijack your post, but I am having similar trouble with Mach crashing while using the Galil plugin.  Maybe we can resurrect this post.  Did you find the solution to the trouble that you were having? 

In my case, I have my Galil (DMC-1740) card all configured and communicating using Galil Tools.  As far as I can tell, the Galil plugin for Mach is installed correctly.  I'm not in front of my machine control computer now but I'll try to summarize.  When I start up Mach3 and choose the Galil card, at first it says "Galil card connected!!"  then it immediately changes its mind and says "Galil card not communicating!!  Restart program!!".  After that Mach locks up and I have to go through the task manager to force-close the program.

I've tried changing the IRQ addresses and hexidecimal settings, but have seen no changes.  Perhaps there are some other changes to the settings that I could try, like communication rate, etc.?

Regards,
Charles

Offline kcrouch

*
  •  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Not sure which version of the plugin you are using, but you need SmartTerm and not Galil Tools for most of the earlier versions of the plugin. I would recommend using the earlier version for both the 2030 and 1740 controllers as there are problems with the very latest version and those controllers.
I'll get Brian to post the earlier version for those wanting to use those earlier controllers.
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
Thanks,

I'll keep an eye out for the older version.  I am currently using the version that I downloaded from the Artsoft website this weekend.

Offline kcrouch

*
  •  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »
Just checked again and it is there already. Some caveats apply though. First, you must use a 32 bit operating system so 64 bit anything is out. Second, You need SmartTerm and not Tools although both can be loaded on the machine. Third, You need version 4.4 of the plugin and not the newer version 4.5 which won't work at all with these older controllers.
I have used 17X0 controllers quite successfully with these settings.
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
After some tinkering around I think I have found my problem. I was using the serial connection which worked fine in the past but now seems to be a problem. I finally got the USB to work and it seems the problem has gone away. I suspect the communications with Galil and Mach somehow caused Mach to stop working altogether. I have gotten a few time outs and have lost comm then. I wish I could use smart term and mach at the same time. switching between them is a pain.

Offline kcrouch

*
  •  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Plugin locking up Mach
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
The serial link is way too slow for Mach3 use. That goes for all other Galil controllers too.
You can open Mach3 and thel open SmartTerm to check settings etc.
That may help you. I use it for debugging all the time.
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.