Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:47:41 AM

Author Topic: PMDX 122/ Mach3 Manual Pulse generator confusion  (Read 11787 times)

PMDX 122/ Mach3 Manual Pulse generator confusion
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
I purchased a handheld MPG online and I want to hook it up. I am using the jog dial usb controller now, but would like something with those clear detents to know when and how far I move the axis. (My machine is a three axis converted Seig X2.)

So I am looking at the MPG.. there are 21 wires and that is where the confusion starts.  Mach3 seems to understand the A-B signals. Which is pretty straight forward. This pendant has the 1X10X100 dial and 6 Axis positions on a second dial.  It also has an enable switch (momentary) and an E-Stop.

It is 100 CPR and runs on +5 volts.

It looks almost exactly like this one....

(I know the pic only shows five axes, but other than that, it's pretty much the same as mine)

I am using a PMDX-122 breakout board. (A single one) so I am trying to figure out if I can use all the functionality of the pendant. I saw nothing about the 1 X 10 X 100 on this forum or on the PMDX manual. I also could not figure out about the enable switch, or the axis selector.

Is this some simple thing I am missing, or am I trying the impossible here? I would appreciate any help that could be provided on this topic. Here are the pinouts from the MPG in case that helps answer anything

1:  Red-           +5V
    2:  Black            0V
    3:  Green            A
    4:  White            B
  *3:  Purple           (It says "While the user chooses the L type driver")
  *4:  Purple/Black   (It says "While the user chooses the L type driver")
    5:  Green/Black   + Ready Lamp
    6:  White/Black   -  Ready Lamp
    7:  Yellow           X  Axis
    8:  Yellow/Black   Y  Axis
    9:   Brown           Z  Axis
    10: Brown/Black  4th Axis
    *9 (18) Pink       5th Axis  (While user adds 5th and 6th Axes)
    *10 (19)            6th Axis  (While user adds 5th and 6th Axes)
    11:  Grey            1X  (Amplification Multiple)
    12: Grey/Black     10X  (Amplification Multiple)
    13: Orange         100X  (Amplification Multiple)
    14: Orange/Black   COM
    15: Cambridge Blue  C   (It says Imperative Switch, but I am guessing that means the E-stop)
    16: Blue/Black         CN (It says Imperative Switch, but I am guessing that means the E-stop)
    17: Red/Black          Standby
    Last one is not numbered, but says N.C.

Thanks in advance, and I am hoping this discussion will help others that are trying the same thing.

Peace,
  Henry G. (Gumby)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PMDX 122/ Mach3 Manual Pulse generator confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
Is this an additional PMDX you have on a second port or is it the one you have motors etc connected to?
If the latter then you will be limited to 5 inputs maximum so depending on what you already have as inputs then you may not be able to use many of these functions.

MPG is simple enough, just two inputs.

Axis select is also easy enough, just set them up as OEM triggeres and then from Config menu then System Hotkeys set each of the OEM triggers to the OEM code for each axis select button.

X1, 10 etc would really require you use a brain.

E-Stop would be best wired in series with your existing E-Stop so that either will fault Mach.

5v and 0V will need to be supplied from the PMDX.

As said however if you only have one parallel port then your choices are limited to a max of 5 of the functions and thats only if you dont already have any inputs.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply. If I use a second PMDX, would that give me enough inputs? (right now I only have the one. (Do the E-Stop and limit switches use up inputs or is that considered standard with five additional?)

Sorry for the novice questions, but my head starts to swim after a while.

Will I also need a PCI parallel card if I add another PMDX?

Also, is there a better recommendation than a second PMDX? If I have to get another card, I would be open to suggestions. (Maybe a usb one so I don't need a second pci card)

lastly, what is a brain? Is it software? I am unfamiliar with that term. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Henry G.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
IF you add the second port then you can have up to 13 inputs on LPT#2

Did you get a macro to use with Mach3 ?

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
On port 1 you have 12 Outputs and 5 Inputs so your limits and E-Stop are using up at least 2 (depending on how you have limits wired)
If you add a second port to the computer then you can configure pins 2-9 as inputs so that gives you 4 outputs and 13 Inputs. You need 2 for MPG, 3 -6 for axis select, likely only 3 or possibly 4 if you have a 4th axis. The selector switch for x1 etc is another 3 so thats 8-11 for them so a second port should be plenty for you.

I like PMDX boards, they are in my opinion very high quality. You could get something like a PoKeys which would give you up to 55 Ins/Outs or alternatively you could scrap the parallel port all together and get a SmoothStepper (Ethernet likely the best to go for) You would still really need a breakout board to be on the safe side withthe SmoothStepper but the PoKeys you wouldnt need to.

A brain is just a way in Mach of taking inputs or similar and making them do something, for example you could look at an input and have it do a button press in Mach. So say you have it looking at X select switch you could then have it actually tell Mach that it needs to select X axis.
There is a video I think on Brains basics, have a look at it and you should get an idea.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
Thanks again for the clear input. I looked at those two other solutions.

Am I right in thinking that "Brains" are the term for some kind of macro in the programming?

Like a trigger that performs some function?

Also, using the PMDX, is there still an issue with the 3.3 versus 5V Parallel port expansion cards?

That was my biggest concern with using a newer computer or getting a second PCI parallel card. I know the PMDX has that charge pump, but I wasn't sure if that was just a buffer, or actually compensating for lower voltage boards.

This is all good news. I have been sitting on this project not sure how to move forward, but this really helps.

Is there a way to sync the ready light (The one on the Pendant) with the reset button in the software? It may be nice to know right away if the motors are armed by using the LED on the Pendant to light when there are no faults.

Thanks,
  Henry G.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
Here are two possible parallel cards. Has anyone reading this been using the USB internal one like this with success?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ICUSB1284INT-Internal-Motherboard-Parallel/dp/B004KLYBBE/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1326977457&sr=1-15

I know on audio cards there are latency issues with USB, so I don't know if that is also an issue with the CNC crowd.

There is also this one.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1-Port-Parallel-Adapter-PCI1PECP/dp/B00006B8BS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1326977508&sr=1-1

I don't know the company Startech, but the reviews are good.

Just want to buy the right one up front if anyone has any insight on expansion cards. I remember reading a lot about this on the industrialhobbies website, but the issue may be a non-issue by now. (He was also plugging his sixty dollar 5V PCI card, so I never saw the advice as unbiased)

Henry G.

BTW, the speed of the responses here has been amazing. Thank you Hood for being on top of it. and thanks also to BR549.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
Sorry cant help with the parallel ports as its years since I have used one.

On to the questions, brains are not really macros , its more like a simplified ladder logic, below is a screenshot of a Brain I use to take the analogue input from pots connected to my PLC. The pots control Feed Rate Override and Spindle Speed Override.
The same could be done with script in the macropump but if you dont know VB then the Brains are easier.

The PMDX is a buffered board so the 3.3v should not be an issue as the PMDX will put out  5v even if the port is only 3.3v.

Yes you can easily connect the ready LED to an output on your BOB and a Brain be used to light it when Mach is out of Reet.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what are you using in place of Parallel ports?

Thanks,
  H

( I have a lot of reading to do about that brain stuff. I see the logic, but I don't have any idea of the syntax or commands)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:45 AM »
The Brains are relatively simple once you get into them, especially if its simple things like just taking an iput to press a button in Mach. Most of the things are in drop down lists. Have a look, go to Operator menu in Mach and choose Edit Brain, then just click Ok with or without entering a name and the editor will open. Press the + and you will get a box appear with options.

I use the USB SmoothStepper on most of my machines, have recently changed the big lathe over to an Ethernet SmoothStepper and the Bridgeport has a Scorpion. I will likely be putting the Ethernet SS on all machines as its very nce indeed :)

Hood