Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:17:59 PM

Author Topic: Mach/Integration/Hardware  (Read 4538 times)

Mach/Integration/Hardware
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »
 :)

I would like to pass along my experiences converting my  3 axis knee mill.
I converted the mill from a early 90's Southwestern Industries package that ran the OS from a floppy and loaded all the programs by floppy. Now I am running Mach Mill, have a great interface control box that can be customized to my liking.
I was very fortunate to find a member here SS Systems  Scott (Poppabear) Shafer that has guided thru the selection and purchase of  hardware, software configurations and developed software to enhance the project. While I am not new to machining and have installed some "factory" kits on mills at work, this proved to be a steeper learning curve than I first estimated. My hardware was purchased from CNC4PC  (Arturo Duncan).   As with many new projects there are ALWAYS rocks in the path to success.  Most of the rocks in my road were created by my level of inexperience but were solved by Scott and Arturo.  Scott developed a plugin to enhance my MPG and allow me to use a hand held switch for Feed/Pause  control. I had a hand held switch setup at work and was comfortable using it. The plugin for the pendant Scott developed installed and works flawlessly.Now I have a mill setup exactly as I wanted, with all the bells and whistles(for now) that will allow me to create the projects I could not have done with the old system.
Mach software, CNC4PC hardware and the infinite patience of Scott Shafer have allowed me to breath new and improved life into my old mill.
Now it is time to model up some parts and enjoy the new setup.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach/Integration/Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Now it is time to model up some parts and enjoy the new setup.

And post a few pictures of the things you make with it perhaps ??  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »
Be glad to show a few parts in hopefully the next few weeks.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
Wow!!  Thank you for the nice Chops Ken!! I too and looking forward to seeing your mill in action! (or pics).

Scott
fun times
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but Im pulling my hair out with my mx3e controller and mastercam.  I am now looking at upgrading to mach.  I was hoping if Scott or Ducati could share what hardware and the path you took for the retrofit on the prototrak.

Thanks.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
MG,
I sent you an email with my contact info.

Good Luck
Ken
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
Hi, sorry to revive this again, but could Scott or Ducati share the info with me too?  I am itching to convert my MX2 to Mach3.  It is so slow and flaky. I would love to hear the info so I don't have to start from scratch.   Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
I sent you an email.  It is so involved it may be more productive..ie, a lot less typing  ;)
to discuss on phone.
Thanks