Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:07:28 AM

Author Topic: Steps per inch  (Read 2748 times)

Steps per inch
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:10:51 PM »
Having trouble getting the steps per in setup correctly. I had them setup as 10000, but everything comes out a little off. Backlash is fine. 1.8 degree stepper motors coupled directly. I am using gecko 201s, I have no idea what the ballscrews are though. If I calculate the steps using the setup wizard, it comes to different numbers on the x and y axis. I get some strange numbers like 10049.97937493. Any help? What is the proper procedure for checking backlash? Any other hints?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Steps per inch
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
Hey,
    Checking your backlash should be no problem if you have an indicator. Put the indicator on something solid. Jog your axis until you move the indicator to a reading of about half of its travel. Write down the reading on the indicator. Jog the axis in the other direction by a set amount, say .010" and see how much difference the indicator shows. If the indicator says you moved .005 and Mach says it has moved .010 then you have .005" backlash. With that being said, you really need to know the pitch of your ballscrew first. I would say your steps per will be 10,000. You can check this with your indicator also. Set up as before., only this time run the axis in until it just starts to move the needle on the indicator. Write down your reading. Going in the same direction give the axis a move with Mach. If Mach thinks it moved it .010" and your indicator says it moved .010", your steps per are right. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!