Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:08 PM

Author Topic: Where Can I Buy Some C4....  (Read 9457 times)

Where Can I Buy Some C4....
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
I'm about ready to take a big hammer to my mill.....

I'm about at the end of my rope.  I've been plagued for many months with flaky behavior - spontaneous changes in fixture offsets, and other equally unpleasant random events.  These are real, verifiable bugs in Mach3 and/or the SmoothStepper.  I've been working with Brian and Greg off and on for months, tracking down and fixing one issue after another, but the last few issues are still eluding us.  At this point, I've installed so many different special debug versions of Mach3 and the SS and ESS plug-ins, I don't even know what I have any more.  Today, I decided to try something drastic, in the hopes of restoring some semblence of sanity to things - I decided to wipe the existing install, and start over from scratch.  So, I spent about a half hour writing down every single setting, moved the old install aside, did a fresh install of the latest Dev release, and the latest ESS plug-in, then manually re-entered all the configuration settings.  When I got done, things are actually worse!

Now I can't get the spindle to come on at all.  With all the same settings, the PWM seems to come on, but the FWD/REV relays don't seem to be working.  Even stranger, the Z axis moves backwards!  I have to flip the polarity of the DIR to make it work correctly!  If I use the XML from the old install, all is well.  How is this even possible??? 

The two XMLs are attached.  There will be some minor differences, as the old one has a lot of "cruft" in it, which I've tried to remove.  But all the settings that are actually needed are, at least visually in the GUI, identical, unless I'm completely losing my mind (which, at this point, should not be ruled out....).

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Where Can I Buy Some C4....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
Welcome to the real world (;-) Fought those type issues for a long time. Things are much better now.

Ray please be carefull what you ask for on the NET. Some people make take it wrong(;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:15:33 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
Terry,

This thing is going to be the death of me....  Greg compared my two XMLs, and neither of us can find anything to explain what's happening.  All the differences are very minor, most just differences in configuration of unused I/Os.  It's a complete mystery....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:53 AM »
If you need any help Ray then you need to be more specific about your problem.  ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »
You seem to be using the SS on the Old but not the new so cant really compare spindle settings.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »
Ray,
Don't know what is wrong. About two weeks ago i tried using my lathe and for the life of me couldn't get the motors to move.
Was using the same xml which had worked for a year or two. After being frustrated for two hours I just created a new xml 
and the problem went away. Never had a corrupted or bad xml.

Maybe start simple with a fresh xml and just add items one at a time and see what is causing the problem.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
You seem to be using the SS on the Old but not the new so cant really compare spindle settings.
Hood

Hood,

No, I'm using the Ethernet SS on both.  See the ESS section of the XML - the SmoothStepper section in the old one is vestigial.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
Maybe start simple with a fresh xml and just add items one at a time and see what is causing the problem.

RICH

Rich,

That's exactly what I did that landed me here.  I didn't copy anything from the old install, but set everything up new.

I've seen XMLs get corrupted several times in ways that caused very odd behavior, but never could figure out why.  A few months back, I had one that caused the offsets to get screwed up, and neither Greg nor Brian could figure out why.  I just had to revert to an older version, from about a week prior.  I've read of quite a few people on here having similar problems from time to time.  The XMLs seem to be rather "fragile".

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
If you need any help Ray then you need to be more specific about your problem.  ;D ;D

Tweakie.

I thought I made that pretty clear - brand new install, brand new XML, all setting match the old install exactly, but now the Z axis moves the wrong direction unless I flip the DIR polarity, and I can't get the spindle to come on at all.  Copy over the old XML (containing identical settings!), and everything seems to work.  How can that be?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Only difference I see regards the spindle is the frequency you have the spindle setting at, doubt that would affect anything though.  I am curious though, you have massive numbers in for  the filtering, do you really need that? Most I ever needed was 1.43 on if I recall the MPG when using the SS.

How are you coming on with the Kflop, thought you were switching to it?

Hood