Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:42:52 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 not recognizing MPG  (Read 4810 times)

Mach3 not recognizing MPG
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
I am new to mach3 and hobby CNC in general.
The problem I am having is as follows.
I have an MPG which I have checked on my oscilloscope and proved to function correctly.
If I address / configure it, Mach3 simply acts dumb and it is as if the MPG is not connected.
So like a dog with a bone I kept at it, if I leave the MPG connected but configure it to act as Jog inputs, the diagnostic page shows the inputs are working correctly.
Unfortunatly the diagnostic page does not seem to go as far as showing MPG inputs.
So as there does not seem to be a way to change the signal from active low to active high or any other variables, how do I force Mach3 to use the MPG?

Simon
Re: Mach3 not recognizing MPG
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
After further reading I am still confused, I acme across a site which attempted to explain what pullup and pulldown resistors are, I got it in so much as what they are and what they do, but in my application with the MPG going via the BOB would I need to use pullup or pull down resistors?
Afterall there is no point in my adding pulldown resistors if the signal Mach3 is expecting is a low signal or pullup for is Mach3 expects a high signal.
My breakout board only has the number x220826 as a means of identification.
I am also unclear if I actually need resistors given that Mach3 already reads the input if the pin assigned is addressed to a different function so Mach3 thinks it is not the MPG supplying the pulses.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
You configure the MPG as a MPG on The MPG/Encoder page of Ports and Pins.
You then have to come out of Jog Mode and into MPG mode by pressing Tab on keyboard and changing it there.
You can then calibrate the MPG from Funct Configs menu.

Do not set it as the Jog Inputs, they are meant for use with external buttons and not a MPG.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
Thanks for the response Hood. However you misunderstood my post. Mach3 does not accept the MPG when configured as an MPG, but the disgnotics page when it is assigned as something else shows the pins working correctly for an MPG.

I installed a programme called Lpttest. and with it and my oscilloscope I was able to prove the function of each and every pin of the LPT port, yet no matter how I try I am unable to get Mach3 to use the port.

The port is the standard port built into the motherboard, and the address for the port is the default address.

The only discrepancy I have found is that windows device manager reports the port as "0378 - 037F" yet this format is not usable by Mach3 which has the address as 0x378.

I also checked all the pins of the parallel port, and while mach3 so far is able to accept "limited" inputs on the parallel port it is unable to produce an output, bearing in mind I am using an oscilloscope I checked the whole range of the output from 5volts down to the noise on the cable and Mach3 is producing no output at all.
I am beginning to wonder if this is a driver issue, given that many people use Mach3, however as the port works but does not work with Mach3 I am running out of options.

I am even at the point of considering EMC2 if Mach3 is unable to be sorted, however this is not too attractive given the use of linux

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
The address is correct if you enter 0378 it will be fine for Mach and when you go back in you will see it as 0x378. That is normal and is not your issue.
Are you using this port as a second port? Do your motors function and are they connected to a different port?
If you attach your xml I can have a look at it to check your config as that can be the only problem if you say the port is working.
Hood