Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:27:20 AM

Author Topic: Custom Icons, How?  (Read 8081 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Custom Icons, How?
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:30:41 AM »
Does anyone know how to make custom Icons for shortcuts to your Mach profiles? I have made shortcuts with Icons allready in Mach for non-default profiles. I would like to know how to make some that look unique. Any help would be appreciated.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ardor

•  130 130
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Icons, How?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 02:09:32 AM »
Using Paint .....  http://www.iconmaniac.com/howto/

Using Photoshop or Gimp ......  http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cian/how-to-make-icons.html

Or, if you want to buy a program, just Google "make icons" should come up with about 1.5 bazillion hits.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:12:46 AM by ardor »
There is no approved dental use for WD40
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:51:03 AM »
Yeah ,, what he said   ;D

Email me if you have a need for photoshop tweakage.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:09:46 AM »
Thanks Fellows,
      I had a look at one of the links. I guess what I need to know is what format do you save your Icon in and where do you save it to so that you can use it with a Mach shortcut? When I go to a desktop Icon for Mach, right click, properties, change icon, it gives a few choices. I go to Mach3.exe but I can't get to those Icons to see where they are saved or what format they are in.

Brett

Hood

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »
Brett by the looks of the address in your screenshot it seems that the icons are embedded within the Mach program itself. I think you could however design your own and save them anywhere you like and just point windows to that location by using the browse button as shown in your screenshot. I think usually windows Icons are saved with an ICO file extension but not 100% sure, do a google for Icon file extensions and you may come up with some info.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »
Yes  ,, they are .ico files.

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:53:41 AM »
Here's a nice icon creator program called LiquidIcon.  http://www.x2studios.com/index.php?page=products&id=11

It can also extract icons from various file types (.exe, .dll, etc.).  Best of all, it's free.

Here's a custom icon that I made from one of the splash screens awhile ago.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:56:58 AM by Scott »
Scott

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 01:17:27 PM »
Thanks Men,
    Armed with this info. I have made a little progress. I will let you know how it works out. For now, I'm using Scott's icon.  ;D Seems like you can change a bitmap extension to the ico. and use them. The one I tried did work, just not very clear.

Thanks for the help,
Brett

Amnz

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:39:47 PM »
...just an added note...
 I tried a while ago to make new icons for the main desktop Mach program files (mach3mill, mach3lathe)..
While they DO work initially, I believe upon any update/upgrade they revert back to the original icons.   Similar to updating  and finding your xml changed if you didn't make a separate profile.

Don't take my word for though....it was a while ago, and I may have missed something.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 06:13:43 PM »
Thanks,
     I would think it would have to be changed every time you update. I will probably never use these on the machine, I just play with these on the office PC. I wonder if it would cause any problems to place a folder in Mach "Mach Personal" to put things like the icons in? It would make it easier for me to remember to back it up.

Brett