Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:34:33 PM

Author Topic: New Multiple and Complex thread Turning Wizard!!!  (Read 46423 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: New Multiple and Complex thread Turning Wizard!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 09:04:53 PM »
John,

Well, I did what you did, (formatting), origially as well, BUT, when you pull up the Page from the Help button in Mach, the help file crams all together, and you lose all formatting!!  Yours, does the same thing mine did......  I wish there was a way that when Cypress pulls in a .htm file that it would retain the formatting, but it appears it is not to be. Thanks for trying anyway. Thanks at the least for fixing the spelling/grammer errors....

Scott,   (BTW: How are you liking the Wizard??  Saw there was several down loads, but not much feedback on it, with the exception of the few below).
fun times
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006, 11:51:56 PM »
Hi Scott,

Both those images were a result of clicking the help button on MACH.  So it seems there is a problem.  Not sure what.  But there is obviously a problem if the file I posted doesn't format for you and yours does format for you.

The wizard looks pretty nice.  I don't know if you are aware of the fact that I'm the nutcase writing the E-Leadscrew software.  I've been examining the different ways these systems cut threads.  It seems the restriction is really the G code itself rather than the wizzards. 

In my ELS case, I've implemented a constant area progression up until a certain percentage of depth which by default is 75%.  After that any number of spring passes which are really important on my flimsy Gingery Lathe.

I really like your pictorial and it does make it easy to set up to cut just about any thread including the run out area.  At the moment I don't have the PC connected to the lathe to actually try the wizard.  I'd have to steal a monitor from a different project and then clean a space to put the keyboard down.  However, before the ELS was built I did cut threads using MACH.

What the wizzard doesn't address is automatically calculating the start and end X values which is what I've had the most trouble with and the Machinery Handbook isn't totally clear about.  The H value of the thread is based on the sharp triangle but the top part of the sharp thread actually extends past the OD of the thread.  I find it all very confusing.  Many times, my threads have ended up being either too shallow or too deep; the nut goes on tight or only  halfway or rattles. 

I can't see how your wizzard helps figure this out since you allow a user to set both start and end X.  Shouldn't a change to 'X Start' based on pitch automatically recalculate X End?  Since you don't have a tool tip radius or the amount it's shorter than the sharp thread I can see determining 'X End' would be difficult.

Sorry if I'm babbling.  I'm really not expert enough at threads to be able to make myself clear.

Have a good new year.

John

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »
John,

What I said, was that mine also Un-formats when it post. I did mine with formatting, but when I would pull it into Mach, through the cypress engine, it would Un-format it, and cram it all together.  I suspect it has something to do with the way Cypress brings in files. There is no setting that I am aware of in cypress to retain your fommating..........Unless someone can point out different.

About the Wizard:

It doesn't figure it out (the X start/end), that is what the little Thread calculation wizard is for. There is NO WAY, for me to know what kind of tip someone is using, i.e. sharp, hand ground flats, what ever. So the Wizard is only looking at the controlled point. YOU, buy knowing what your tip dimensions/profile is, and using the Wizard to set up your Min/max diameters you set up your thread. I could probably add another page that you could program in your Tip geomtry but again, that would be over kill since you already know what your threading insert or what ever looks like and its dimensions since you bought it or made it. They also make bits that have little Thread tip toppers.. (a little flange of the cutting tip that also cuts the sharp v point off of your thread. but they are made for specific depth of thread only).

Brain, and others are far deeper into the VB, than I am, This is a far as I currently want to go with it.

Steve Blackmore of the mach yahoo group would be a far, better resource than me, to go into Threading science. I do simple internal/external threads, I know what my tips will do, so I just cut them, and they work.

Perhaps Steve would grace us both with an indepth "How to" on the subject.  I leaned by trial and error, I was never taught the science of thread cutting.

Scott
fun times

Offline Bear

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »
Hi  Poppabear,
 Bear here ,some of "us" thankyou!

Bear 

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »
Hi Poppabear,

I know it's been along time since you did the Quickthreads Wizard, but I've only just got around to trying it. A thing I've noticed, being a metric sort of person, is that the G20/G21 changeover doesn't seem to work. I always get G20.
Also the tool selection is that for a mill I think. Mach turn uses T101 etc. This is V 2.01, which I think was your latest version.
Another thing, which is just my preference, could the bright green be something a bit less glaring - it hurts my poor old eyes!
I'm not moaning, it looks a useful tool & I want to try it for real.

Tony

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
Tony,

OK, here is an updated screen set just drag and drop it, into your Turns addon folder in the Quickthreads wizard.
I fixed the G21 issue, ALSO redid the Sore-eye colors for you.

NOTE: The tool posting format, only puts out what you put in it. If you want it to post "T101", then in the Tool Number DRO put "101" and in the H offset DRO put a "0".

Tell me what you think,

Scott
fun times

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 05:55:50 AM »
Scott,

thanks for sorting that out, I think it looks much better. G21/20 works fine & I see what you mean about the tool code, but it might be better to default to the standard Mach T101 format. Machturn  just ignores T1 style changes.
Where should I put the help file? I don't get it coming up with the help button? I also don't get the Thread Calculator Table.
A 'nice to have' thing would be an indication of how many passes the code will generate, as in the other threading Wizard. I often find I'm being too timid with my cuts and generate far too many passes.

Tony

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Scott,

I sorted out the help & Thread calc Table. Or rather when I installed the wizard on my lathe PC everything worked. The install does bury the files a directory or so too deep & it's necessary to copy it back up a level or so.
Should be able to try cutting some metal now.

Tony

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »
Right,

that didn't take long. I cut quite a nice M6 x1 thread in mild steel - nut fitted first time! Used the Thread calc table to get the numbers. It occurred to me while I was getting the numbers, that it would be really smart if you could just click on the ones you wanted & transfer them into the appropriate box in the wizard. Don't know how easy that would be, but most people would want to produce standard threads.

Tony

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
Currently, doing other projects that take priority. If you want that stuff, now is the time to learn how to do wizards, look on the Wiki, and modify my Wizard to your needs!!

I am under Two Large projects now, that both need to be done yesterday, so kinda gonna float that one out to you.

I am glad to hear that it worked well for you. If perhaps I get freed up and have some extra time, and you havent fixed it, I will fool with it again.

Scott
fun times