Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:40:05 AM

Author Topic: Mach Turn jog not working, Mach Mill works  (Read 3724 times)

Mach Turn jog not working, Mach Mill works
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
I've just converted an old Sears (pre-Sherline) lathe to CNC and tested the motors using the setup I use with my Taig mill. Everything works fine. Then I copied the existing Mach3Turn XML, renamed it, started Mach Turn and set up the configs the same as the mill. Turning the controller on and in manual mode, the motors "click" and get slightly warm but do not move. Jogging is on and the DROs increment on screen.

What am I missing?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Turn jog not working, Mach Mill works
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
attach both xmls and maybe the problem can be found.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »
These are the two XML files. I have to admit I have not spent the time to decipher XML files. There's probably some very obvious errors somewhere but it would take me time to discover them.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »
First open Mach mill and note the steps per unit, velocity, and acceleration in motor tuning.
Make note of all the settings.
Now go to Turn and use those values. They are not the same!

RICH
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
This is the revised Turn XML with the velocities and accelerations the same as the Mill XML. The motors still do not turn. An oddity in the Turn XML is that the Jog Velocity line has a zero in it. Is this a problem? There's no such line in the Mill XML.

I've gone over the config procedure in Turn and can't come up with anything obviously wrong. I've tried MDI and the DROs change but nothing with the motors suggesting the problem is not specifically with jogging.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
You have a different port address, if you are using the same computer you will need to change the address to suit.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
Good catch! I used the default XML port address for Turn but my PC has an odd address that I knew when setting up Mill a couple of years ago. Where is the parallel port address stored in the XML file? A search doesn't find any X378, just a 378 in a couple of places for DRO2.

Thanks for the help, the motors are running. Now I have to build something.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
Best not to mess with the xml unless you are sure you know what you are changing. It is best just to change the settings in Mach and then when you shut down Mach it will save them to the xml for you.
Hood