Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:50:49 AM

Author Topic: Using Oscilloscope with Mach3  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Using Oscilloscope with Mach3
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
I know very little about oscopes but have used them some at a former job.

I've searched through many threads that popped up from the search feature here in the forum as to what and how one could use them, where to connect the probes to obtain various readings, etc. to compare to what is shown in Mach, i.e., what is actual versus expected.

However, I didnt' find much information regarding such; only things like "if you have an oscope you could see..." or "hook up your oscope and look for ....".

I think they are fascinatiing tools but just don't know where to start if I were to purchase one.  My main reason for wanting one is to know where and how to look for possible lost steps or anything else someone would care to share with me.

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Vogavt

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Using Oscilloscope with Mach3
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:54:06 AM »
Hi Vogavt,

Just one tip - If you are using a mains operated oscilloscope (without an autotransformer or other means of isolation) make sure the earth connection of the probe is only connected to an earth point on your machine.  Shorting various unknown points to earth while testing can ultimately spell disaster.  :'(
The portable, battery operated, hand held scopes are in may ways a lot safer to use when it comes to trouble shooting as they have a floating GND and the above does not apply.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

Has anyone put together any sort of document that spells out clearly something to the effect of "connecting probe here and here will allow you to and look for ..."? I would think that would be a very useful piece of information.

My only thoughts are not everyone is using the same BOB's, etc., which miight muddy the water. However, if there is knowledge of commonalities between board's pins then it might be a starting point.

Treat me like a newbie when it comes to this..

;D

Vogavt

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
uNless you are looking for some specific problem it will be of little help and probably more confusing than help.

Just a thought. (;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
uNless you are looking for some specific problem it will be of little help and probably more confusing than help.

Just a thought. (;-) TP
agreed

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
Hmmm..

Okay, so back to the original thought. I've seen several questions/comments posted here about problems and someone stated "if you have an oscope you could see..." or "hook up your oscope and look for ....".

Again, not much to go on since the replies don't typically give anything much in detail

So, per your comment, let's look at something specific: let's say I'm missing steps.

How and where would I connect the probe from the oscope to see whether it's a board issue or software?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:09:38 AM »
Hi Vogavt,

I understand your thinking but it can be much more involved than just connecting up the probes.

The O'Scope screen displays a graph with (usually) Voltage on the Y Axis and Time on the X Axis but interpretation or understanding of that graph can  take a lot of experience. To many the display is very pretty but totally meaningless.

I don't wish to appear disrespectful but I suggest you start at the beginning and research o'scope techniques which could be a vast subject and certainly beyond the scope of this forum.
This may be a good place to start http://www.doctronics.co.uk/scope.htm but there are many other tutorials available.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Once you have basic understanding of how the scope works and is set up, it's limitations, then you need some experience using it along with the understanding of what and how you are measuring the circuit. Without the electronics knowledge background the instrument can quickly become nothing more than a boat anchor.
Trying to find missing steps cans really be a challenge, for instance, relative to software one would need to ask......

What am i measuring?
Is the software at fault, motherboard, port, something in between or along the way........
How do i isolate the circuit for sampling
Is my scope adequate to do the job......

So echoing what was said........... beyond the scope of this forum.

RICH

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:04:35 AM by RICH »

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Don't need another "pretty" boat anchor around.

;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:28 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Don't need another "pretty" boat anchor around.

;D

Sounds like a wise choice to me.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE