Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:35:32 AM

Author Topic: Driver Testing?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
Driver Testing?
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Hello All,

I have a very basic understanding of the Driver Test but don't have other tests to compare to so it makes it difficult to decide what is good, ok and not so good.  Any thoughts on this driver test and if there are some simple ways to improve it.

Thanks
Stefan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Testing?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »
The spikes at the start, do they happen again and again whilst viewing the graph or are they just a one off?
Hood

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »
Hey Hood, 

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't have a chance today to really check as we are super busy here in the shop. If memeory serves me well I believe they are always there.

I swear my troubles all stem from the Computer I am using.  What does their presence indicate if anything?

S

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »
If the spikes are always happening every so often then it could cause you issues, they are not huge spikes but could well be enough to upset things. Have you tried doing the optimisation steps outlined on the downloads page?
Hood

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
Hey Hood,

They are there constantly.  They get a little bigger and spread out a little further when I use a 100khz setting but still exist when I test at 25.  Here are some screen shots that I took during a test to show how they are always there.

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
Ok so I optimized.  I didn't make much of a difference.  Here is a screen shot of test after optimiztions.  I did not complete the one that was described as more for laptops...maybe I should give it a go as well?

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:07:38 AM »
Well after optimizing there was no real change but then I started going through drivers and updating them.  I think the issue may have been from an out of date monitor (?) driver.  Now the test looks like better.  Wondering if anyone else agrees.  It does not resolve my issue of lost steps but I am working at eliminating the potential causes !

There are still some spikes that are momentary and generally throughout the test max vari is around 2.3 or less.  The screen shot shows a pretty max spike. 

Any thoughts.

s

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:54 AM »
That last one should not be a problem at all, the others may or may not be an issue, probably depends more on your BOB and drives as to whether it would or not.

Hood

Offline SMA

•  68 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
Ok.  The last on is where I am at now.  It tests out about the same evertime and as I mentioned this screen shot shows it at it's worst.  Is it possible to get better than what I have posted.  Is it possible to achieve a dead straight line?

My machine runs very well.  Smooth and strong but it loses position after cutting a file on Y.  It has been a problem all along.  I have a work around but would like to figure what it is that is the issue.

Another small issue is that the computer is losing a couple of minutes of time after being left on for a night.  Wonder if this can be an issue.

Learning lots but feeling a little frustrated.  Thank you for your comments.

S

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
If its just the Y that is the problem that would suggest a hardware or mechanical issue, have you tried swapping motors and drives around to see if the problem follows.

Hood