Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:24:39 PM

Author Topic: Brushless DC Servo Spindle Speed Control w/ Smooth Stepper and Leadshine  (Read 15288 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Brushless DC Servo Spindle Speed Control w/ Smooth Stepper and Leadshine
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
If I recall there is a jumper on the SS that makes pin 26 supply 5v, how much current can be drawn I am not sure and I think it will also depend on whether you are using an external 5v supply to the SS or USB power.
Hood
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
"Now there is no reason that your motor and drive will not work and I suspect it may be due to you using the standard outputs on the G540 as I suspect they will be relatively low frequency outputs. I have not looked to see if there is any info on Geckos site about their max frequency though, so its just a guess.

Hood"

You were right! I pulled the step and direction signals out of the G540 and ran them through the Port 2 on the SS using the 5V pin they provide...works as expected in both linear axis mode and Spindle Mode. Thanks man,

Thanks to everyone for their input...I've been pulling my hair out for weeks and you guys helped me get this going. I appreciate it.

-Kyle-
-Kyle-

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
Good to hear you got it going, I am sure you will love the control a servo gives :)
Hood
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
The servos are nice. I wish I had built the whole router with them over the stepers.
-Kyle-

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:17 AM »
Yes, steppers have there place but if you want fast acceleration and constant torque then servos are the way to go. As with steppers however they also need to be sized properly.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
FYI:

I contacted Gecko Support with regards to the G540 and the OUTPUT channels 1 and 2 and the frequency limitations/opto-isolation. They are indeed frequency limited via low speed Opto-Isolation:

"Those outputs use a low-speed optoisolator to isolate the signal. The maximum step pulse frequency that could be expected out of them is going to be below 10kHz. Sending a higher frequency will have them function as low-pass filters"

-Kyle-
-Kyle-

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 01:45:27 PM »
Thought that would likely be the case as they are not meant for step/dir but rather just normal outs such as you would use for coolant etc, so no real need to add expense with faster optos.
Hood