Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:20:40 PM

Author Topic: HELP, mach throws up random ESTOP mid program. Gecko G540  (Read 9459 times)

Re: HELP, mach throws up random ESTOP mid program. Gecko G540
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:02:55 AM »
This is still causing a lot of problems, ordered another gecko. Same thing happens, its very strange, just throws an e-stop up after a few seconds. Will only reset upon shorting the e-stop. So I ordered another gecko, same thing, changed all the 4 motors, reloaded mach3, chnaged computer, bought another brand new (different make) 48v, 7amp power supply, charge pump on/off, bought in a large 6800uf capacitor for the power supply, built a whole fresh control box, same problem. It did strangely work for 5 minutes with a 24v power supply.

Any ideas, the only thing I can think is its the gecko G540? tearing my hair out here!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 05:48:25 AM »
Are you wiring as per the G540 docs?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »
Also can you attach your xml as you never did the last time I requested it, could be a simple config issue.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
I'm having the same kind of imaginary e-stop problem.
I think I may have figured out the cause.
Whenever I turn on the shop vacuum to collect some wood chips the imaginary e-stop occurs.
I experimented by powering the shop vacuum else ware and the problem is less prevalent.
However is something big, like the air compressor, kicks in there we go again.

I am running the shop computer and CNC electronics off of a single 15A circuit and the router off of a separate 20A circuit.
The 15A circuit also powers the other shop outlets.
Someday I will have dedicated circuit.

Until then, I'm thinking a small UPS for the CNC electronics.
dougie329, could this be the cause of your issue?
Do you think the UPS solution will work for either of us?

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
A UPS probably will not help. A line filter will. And moving the PC and the motor power supply to different power circuits can have a positive effect.

Random 'spookie' issues in general can be caused by voltages that are hovering near the ON/Off TTL threshhold. Make sure you do not have a newer 3.3V parallel port driving a 5V BOB.

Assuming all of that is OK, add pull-up or pull-down resistors the the pins that are causing trouble. i.e. hold then up or down away from the threshold.

Practical example: Say your E-stop line goes HIGH to activate E-Stop. Put a 10K resistor between that pin and ground. This will hold the signal OFF and keep it from wandering all over the place from induced voltage. When your E_stop goes HIGH, it will have no trouble driving thru the 10K resistor to pull the pin HIGH. Still, check it to be sure.

Conversely, if your E-stop goes LOW, then put the same resistor frm the pin to 5V to hold the pin HIGH until the E-stop signal pulls it down. Some BOBs have these pull-up/pull-down resistors built in. If your BOB has these, make sure that they are set to pull in the right direction as described above.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
if you have Use WatchDogs ticked on general config un tick it if it still happens it could be your computer i have the same problem  i un ticked it it stopped happening my computer just runs it it only happens sometimes