Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:40:24 AM

Author Topic: HELP!! mach 3 for dummies???  (Read 4830 times)

HELP!! mach 3 for dummies???
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
hi all,
we are cabinetmakers by trade, and purchased a cnc lathe to produce a few shapes in wood. so far we have gotten it to move back and forth lengthwise on the bed, and in and out towards the center.
i am struggling with it, and have searched for something basic to help me get started, but everything seems overcomplicated at my beginning level. is there a "mach3 for dummies", a starting place for someone who has never used cnc or mach 3 before?  or, how did YOU learn to use it from scratch, so i can at least have a place to start.
basically i want to "draw" out a profile, and have the lathe reproduce it.
alternately, is there someone in the conn. area who is familiar with mach3turn, and who would be paid for their time to set us up?
thank you all very much
gary

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! mach 3 for dummies???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
Use some of the wizards to get a hang of things and see how it works.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:56:02 AM »
Have look at the LazyTurn Manual, Threading on the Lathe Write up, Mach3 Arc Motion even parts of the LazyCam Manual.
All can be found in Members Docs.
There are appendix's which cover specifics and show practical examples. Together they cover a lot all specific to the lathe.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
thank you all, we are muddling thru it, and all your suggestions have helped. it is a s.o.b to get started, feel like a cave man chipping out the first wheel....
regards,
gary