Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:44:49 AM

Author Topic: Auto Tool-Changer and LPT2  (Read 16655 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tool-Changer and LPT2
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:29:15 AM »
Would current have anything to do with it?

Yes.

You cannot drive a mechanical type of relay directly from the parallel port. You can drive TTL logic, solid state relays and some swithching transistors but i think the avaliable current limit is 10mA (if you are lucky).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
I was wondering if there is a breakout board that I could use in between the LPT2 input and the STG101 controller?

If so, could you point me in the right direction as to which one would be suitable.  I haven't really studied breakout boards before!

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 02:37:36 AM »
Have a look through the relay switching items here http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php they are nice guys to contact and will promptly answer any questions relating to their products, if you have any.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
Hi Tweakie,

I have now found that the LPT2 output didn't have enough current to drive the relays on the ATC controller.  I have 5.05v but wouldn't activate them.
So, I tried an older laptop with a parallel port.  Used the simple ParMon program to set pins 14 and/or 16 on/off.  It worked fine!!  So I knew it wasn't
the ATC controller at fault.  I recently tried something else...i have a spare TB6560 driver/stepper board, the same type that runs the motors, limits
and spindle etc.  So, I hooked this up temporarily to the PSU and LPT2 port.  I used the TB6560's onboard single relay (same one as I'm using for
my Kress spindle). I also connected one of the air solenoids to the relay on the TB6560 with 24v 

In Mach3, I set the P&P's accordingly....clicked Output 2 'On' in Mach3 and the relay activated!!

Now I'm getting somewhere.  I'm going to order a C36 BOB from Arturo, so that will replace the TB6560 used only for this test.

What I am now getting stuck with is, how do I activate the relay in the post processor?  I assume I'll use the Activate/DeActivateSignal(OutPut*********)
somewhere??  How do I get Mach3 to know that I have a second LPT port, with regards to the air solenoid.

I have looked on you website with interest, but it's losing me.

I have also got another question about a tool length sensor, but I'll post that in another thread.

Thanks

Keith

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »
Hi Keith,

When you configure Mach Ports and Pins / Outputs you can set the Port# to 1 or 2 which then defines if it is your first or second parallel port.

The standard commands M3/M4 - M5  and M7/M8 - M9 would be probably be the easiest to use for switching your relays (that is what they were designed for) then your post- processor just has to insert these commands into your generated GCode at the appropriate place. (have another read through the Mach manual for details etc.). If you prefer to use the CB commands (Activate/Deactivate Signal) then you really need to study the CB manual to establish how CB and GCode can be combined effectively. It would take me forever to explain this properly but 99% of the details you need are in the manual.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

I entered M7 (I think it was 7) in the MDI box…pressed enter and the MIST LED came on.  Looking at
MACH3 diagnostics screen, this is Output 4.  I need Output 2 and 3 to operate.

How do I tell the G Code to operate Output 2 and Output 3 on LPT2 (and any others I decide to use) and
then turn them off?

I'll use the MDI line for now, until I know what the Codes are.  You're right...I prefer to use M Codes as opposed to
VB and CB.  I'm getting there, but slowly!

Keith

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12:56 AM »
You need to tell Mach that it is output 2 that you want  for Mist, its Config menu, Ports and Pins then Spindle setup. You can then enter Output 2 for M7 (Mist)
Hood
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:11 AM »
Ah right...understood.  Thanks Hood!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »
Hi Keith,

The Output # associated with the M3,M4,M7,M8 commands are set under 'Config/Ports and Pins/Spindle Setup' then the output pin numbers associated with each Output# are set under 'Output Signals'.
Within your GCode the command M3 will turn on whichever Output# you have associated (as above) and M5 will turn it off (M3,M4 are turned off with M5 and M7,M8 with M9). I have not tried it but I think the command pairs are interlocked so you cannot select M3 and M4 at the same time (it has to be one or the other) and the same may apply it the M7 and M8 but try it and see.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:58 AM »
M7 and M8 can both be called at the same time, M3 and M4 can not, eg if you currently have M3 in effect calling M4 will cancel M3.
Hood