Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:37:26 PM

Author Topic: Limit switches  (Read 2973 times)

Limit switches
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi all,

I have searched around but have not found an answer (that I understand).

I am new to Mach3 and have built a prototype router and connected it to Mach3 via a 3 axis driver board using TB6560's.  The board has four inputs for an EStop and limit switches.  I have connected them up and the EStop works as I would expect but if I activate an axis limit switch it works exactly like an EStop.  Is this normal I expected it to just stop the axis in question and not all of them! 

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place or a really dumb question.

Z
Re: Limit switches
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
Z,
  That is normal. Hitting a limit is in essence an emergency situation as the machine should never get that close to destruction. It will require a RESET and re-referencing afterward.
Setting up your Soft Limits will however do as you are expecting, stopping the moving axis just shy of the limit and allowing all others to move independently. Also allowing the stopped axis to run the other way. All without requiring a reset and maintaining your reference.
Russ
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
 :)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I was beginning to suspect the behaviour was normal and it was my understanding that was in error.  I will look into the soft limits.

Thanks

Z
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
Hi all,

I have searched around but have not found an answer (that I understand).

I am new to Mach3 and have built a prototype router and connected it to Mach3 via a 3 axis driver board using TB6560's.  The board has four inputs for an EStop and limit switches.  I have connected them up and the EStop works as I would expect but if I activate an axis limit switch it works exactly like an EStop.  Is this normal I expected it to just stop the axis in question and not all of them! 

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place or a really dumb question.

Z

That is very normal, lots of people (myself included) connect all the limits to one I/O. If there is a crash then the whole machine stops preventing any damage.