Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:59:16 AM

Author Topic: Stepper iregular or stalling in MDI or program run  (Read 6914 times)

Stepper iregular or stalling in MDI or program run
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
Hello all,
   I’m new to Mach3 and stepper motors and I have run into what I think is a small problem so I’m hoping you can help me. I have checked the forum before I posted to make sure I wasn’t repeating anyone’s problems My set up is as follows mach3 version 2.0.017 and its licensed,  Xylotex 4 axis stepper board running the 425oz steppers (2 in master/slave on X /A and a normal Y and Z configuration. The power supply is also from Xylotex  The pc is running XP professional SP2 its an older machine but its only running mach3. The machine itself is immaterial at the moment as this happens without lead screws connected.
Now the problem I can run at any speed I want in jog (within reason) however in MDI or program mode the axis moves about an inch then steps irregular and sometimes stalls. If the lead screws are connected at a slow speed then the distance traveled is correct so the set up of the pitch is correct with the irregular stepper movement even (if I go above 10ipm the motor seems to stall).
I’m thinking one of three things the power supply doesn’t have the correct current available however the use of jog speeds unto 31 ipm seems to negate that. It could be dropped pulses from the interface I placed a second parallel port in and experienced the same thing. Or last it could be my pc.
I have ordered a break out box from mini i/o products to possibly eliminate the parallel port issues that should be here soon.
The other thing I have noticed is that in lazy cam if I use line numbering the program has double line numbers every 40 lines or so (ie N120 N125 X22.56 Y 12.0) it only requires a re-edit but I wondered if any one else had encountered it, also if I import a DFX i lose part of the Acad or TurboCAD drawing if I import as a HPGL from the same program its fine.
Any help or direction you can give me would be appreciated. Just so you know I’m not a total CNC idiot I have worked for a CNC controls manufacturer for 20 years and know CNC’s and servo drives quite well but not steppers as we / I have never use them.
This is purely for a home router project and for hobby use. Thanks in advance

Mark Haydock
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:23:18 AM by haydms »
Re: Stepper rregular or stalling in MDI or program run
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:52:05 PM »
You need to check sherline mode in under the ports and pins settings that should fix the problem that you are having

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:59:17 PM »
Is the machine put together? Until you home the axis you jogging will not be at full speed. I believe there is a setting someplace to set a homed condition.

When you are going into MDI or running a program you are using a different feedrate than the default jog speed. Doing a g0 move will move at the max speed you have set in tuning. try using a g1 move and slowly increase the feedrate untill it stalls out on you, then back off your max velicity in the motor tuning dialog.

You also may need to modify your acceleration times. You may be accelerating too fast.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »
Thank you for your quick responses
   Brian the sherline mode was unchecked so I checked it and restarted the program I didn’t see much of an effect (except the stepper seemed to pulse constantly from the start of the MDI x1 g0 move)
   Macona X and Y are together although I have the lead screws uncoupled at the moment the home position is set via Mach3 and the tuning is now down to 6 ipm with a slow acceleration/deceleration with no change I even went as far as 2 ipm and the steps are more pronounced. It seems to acel/decel fine this problem is actually in the move
Thanks once again

Mark Haydock
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
you should be running better then that... what do you have for axis settings?
Steps per unit?
Vel
and Accel

What mode are you running in? 25KHz?

thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
Re: Stepper iregular or stalling in MDI or program run
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:51:03 PM »
Hi Brian,
   I’m running 28800 steps on a 5/16-18 Y screw the board is set up as *8 pulses (when connected) and velocity of 4.0002 with an acceleration of 3.57 all units in inches. This gives me the right distance traveled on the DRO and the machine. I tried both 25k and 35k on the Hz. Also when i say stepping it does about 1/3 of a turn on the motor but its not a consistant 1/3.
I’m just at a loss the X axis has a 9 tpi lead screw however if not connected what difference should it make? It wouldn’t on a servo so my knowledge goes out the window …. 
   Thanks once again for the help I don’t think it’s a Mack setup issue but I could be wrong (like usual according to my wife).

Mark Haydock
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:09:45 AM by haydms »
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:52:02 AM »
I take it you are running microtepping drives? If you can turn off the microstep and lower your steps per unit.

You did restart mach between changing freqs right?

How fast is your computer? Processor? Mhz? Ram?

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the help,
I found the issue today i happend to be bad performance settings in my windows configuration. I can now run full part programs and MDI without issue at approximately 31 ipm with no irregular steps.

Mark Haydock
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »
Great, you should be cutting parts in no time :)

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 11:26:09 PM »
Could you say which Windows setting was off? Having the same problem...

Thanks,

Spark